Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a barred rock rooster around 4 months old, I haven't heard him crow or even try to. When do they normally start?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It all depends on how fast they mature. All roosters are different, about like boys going through puberty and their voice changing.
Usually the first few weeks of crowing will not be a pretty sounding crow lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine will be 8 weeks on Saturday and he's just started making these awful noises - we figure he must be starting to get his big boy voice! I heard it for the first time this morning and my husband heard it yesterday. We still aren't sure what kind of chicken he is, though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hubbard25 said:
I've got a barred rock rooster around 4 months old, I haven't heard him crow or even try to. When do they normally start?
We have a brahma rooster we think around the same age, but we don't know for sure. He just started crowing this week. The first time I heard it on Monday it seemed to surprise him. He has been trying a little more each day since. He still sounds like an old fire truck. Not really a crow yet, but I think he'll figure it out

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've got two Banty Roos in the same group that kinda bully him if he gets too close to "their" hens. I was wondering if maybe he was so intimidated by them that that could be the reason he's not trying??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts