Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rooster who is around 20 weeks old. He crowed for the first time on Christmas Day. He is a LS and I have had him in with my hens for quite a while now. He certainly wants to breed with them but I’m not sure he knows how... he try’s very hard but I don’t think he is that successful. I really want to breed from him because he is a lovely bird so should I just wait a bit longer and see if he figures it out? When he was still a pullet another flock of younger hen badly injured his leg so now I have him in with my gentler hens and he seems to enjoy it! I just wondered if there was anything I could do to make him a bit more forward?

·
Administrator
22,333 Posts
Give him a little time. Little boys can be clumsy until they get their technique down. If the girls he's with now don't object, let him stay. He's safe, got himself a flock and the girls are good with him.

·
Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
20 weeks, he may need a little more time as Robin said.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
If the hens accept him do as the others have suggested. Often older hens will not accept a young cockerel as lord and master. Should this be the case you might want to consider getting a couple young pullets for him. Then as he ages the older girls will accept him.

I often have trouble remembering abbreviations-what is a LS? Can't remember peoples' names either, which is embarrassing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts