Young rooster

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Orchid11, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Orchid11

Orchid11 New Member

I have a rooster who is around 20 weeks old. He crowed for the first time on Christmas Day. He is a LS and I have had him in with my hens for quite a while now. He certainly wants to breed with them but I’m not sure he knows how... he try’s very hard but I don’t think he is that successful. I really want to breed from him because he is a lovely bird so should I just wait a bit longer and see if he figures it out? When he was still a pullet another flock of younger hen badly injured his leg so now I have him in with my gentler hens and he seems to enjoy it! I just wondered if there was anything I could do to make him a bit more forward?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Give him a little time. Little boys can be clumsy until they get their technique down. If the girls he's with now don't object, let him stay. He's safe, got himself a flock and the girls are good with him.

3. Orchid11

Orchid11 New Member

Ok
    Ok, thanks!

4. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

20 weeks, he may need a little more time as Robin said.

5. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

If the hens accept him do as the others have suggested. Often older hens will not accept a young cockerel as lord and master. Should this be the case you might want to consider getting a couple young pullets for him. Then as he ages the older girls will accept him.

I often have trouble remembering abbreviations-what is a LS? Can't remember peoples' names either, which is embarrassing.

6. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Well, don't feel bad Dan, I don't know what it is either. But I too struggle to remember some of the abbreviations we give some breed names.