Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m relatively new to chickens. We ended up with 8 day old chicks, they are now 13ish weeks. 3 roosters, one went to the soup pot. We have a clear head rooster in the flock. I know they court the hens.. this guy does not. Is this an adolescent thing? He isn’t over persistent, they can get away.. he just goes on to the next one, etc.

But down to the main point. We had to take 4 5 year old hens from my husbands uncle in a hurry. I put them in the coop last night. This morning all was well with the hens, but this rooster is an ass. The new hens are going right back at him, not tolerating his crap, so they are what I would I say is full on fighting. (I could be wrong) I separated him this morning into a dog run I have. I didn’t let it go on long, as I don’t want blood shed.

What are my options? Is this normal? The lower on the totem pole rooster got his ass kicked when he went after them and took right off.
I also have 12 more chicks that need to go should go out in a couple weeks, I’ve had them in the dog run and the head roo tries to go at them through the fence, one again the hens don’t care. I will not be putting them in the coop at night, I will continue to separate them for the next few weeks and let them out when I am home for a couple days when the time comes.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Yep, it's normal. As far as your rooster is concerned those new hens are interlopers and need to be driven off. If you can keep him in the dog pen for a few days while the girls intermingle with your existing flock, things should go more smoothly when you let him in with them again.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, they will sort themselves out in a few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, it's normal. As far as your rooster is concerned those new hens are interlopers and need to be driven off. If you can keep him in the dog pen for a few days while the girls intermingle with your existing flock, things should go more smoothly when you let him in with them again.
Thank you. Only issue is the one hen that was really fighting back, is now attempting to fight him through the fence and now they’re both bloody. I was off doing some chores and turned around to that. I already had chicken wire around the bottom of the fence. I’m going to have to get some more hardware cloth or something I guess

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Sorry, I laughed. That hen is not going to let any rooster get the better of her.

This could be a little more complicated than temporary separation. You could put something up where they can't see each other through the wire for a while. Then remove it after a while to see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
Sorry, I laughed. That hen is not going to let any rooster get the better of her.

This could be a little more complicated than temporary separation. You could put something up where they can't see each other through the wire for a while. Then remove it after a while to see what happens.
Yes, she is taking no crap! Well, they use visual barriers at shows.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
We used them at ours when the roosters got fired up. Never had to do one to keep a hen from going after a rooster so this one is a first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I laughed too. This hen is savage. I caged the cockerel in the coop last night and let the hens establish some pecking order in the coop. My pullets took a bit of a beating off the top roost bar but they sorted it out. So this morning I tried a different approach and put the 4 new hens in the dog run. Mr big shot hasn’t bothered them and is off with his flock after several ridiculous attempts at crowing at them.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
I laughed too. This hen is savage. I caged the cockerel in the coop last night and let the hens establish some pecking order in the coop. My pullets took a bit of a beating off the top roost bar but they sorted it out. So this morning I tried a different approach and put the 4 new hens in the dog run. Mr big shot hasn’t bothered them and is off with his flock after several ridiculous attempts at crowing at them.
He has to try to save face, at least a little!

Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
That's a hoot. Mr. Ruff and Tumble doesn't know how good he has it right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts