Chicken Forum banner

Worming chicks?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  odellfarms 
#1 ·
Is it possible to tell if young chicks have worms and what type? Do young chicks have common ailments? If so, what are the symptoms?

#3 ·
How do you tell if a chick has cocci? Interesting note: Went to CackleHatchery.com and added some Black Australorps to the cart. They recommend buying sulpha treatment for chicks as part of their 'go home' package. Makes me feel a bit suspicious.

#4 ·
Sulfa treats coccidiosis. It's a protozoan parasite that is a fairly common chicken parasite. Chicks don't come out of the egg with a parasite but as babies are immune compromised cause their systems are not yet up and running at 100% capacity. All babies take a little time to get their immune systems fully functional. So, as a precaution, hatcheries, farm stores recommend medicated Sulfur feeds to protect them from infection while they may be vulnerable. So if they are clean and inside and not exposed to other birds, it would be unlikely that they would get coccidiosis.

#5 ·
on the topic of cocci, you can also treat with corid, it will kill all strains of the cocci, while some medication only kills certain strains. after using any treatment such as antibiotic its always good to give a probiotic after wards to replace the good bacteria that was killed during treatment. Thank God I've not delt with cocci yet hopefully never, but i have corid on hand incase because the quicker you can start treatment the better recovery. i also like giving a proboitic as a preventive like giving plain yougart it has active good bacteria in it and is good for the chicks. it helps with a healthy natural Balance of good bacteria. you can find several different probiotics for chickens online. i use probios. I'll also give vitamins from time to time. also they have a wonderful pasture blend for chickens that gives them lots of omega3 that they need in the diet.i got my chicken blend from a organic store called peaceful valley. they are online. i planted the omegas in their run. it has about ten different grasses for them and some clover different things. i do these things to try to keep them healthy and make sure they are getting what they need in lines of nutrition.

#6 ·
Peggi said:
How do you tell if a chick has cocci? Interesting note: Went to CackleHatchery.com and added some Black Australorps to the cart. They recommend buying sulpha treatment for chicks as part of their 'go home' package. Makes me feel a bit suspicious.
Just curious...have you googled reviews on the birds put out by Cackle Hatchery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.