Chicken Forum banner

Wormers for geese?

Geese 
17K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  HomeSkillet 
#1 ·
After doing some research I've decided I want to worm my geese before breeding season starts.
Here in the States we have very few choices for worming fowl.

I worm my chickens once a year, alternating between ivermectin pour-on and valbazen (albendazole). I have learned that it's safe to use the ivermectin pour-on for my ducks, but what about my geese?

The recommended wormer for geese is fluvenvet (flubendazole), which is not available here. However, since both valbazen and fluvenvet are "zoles" I'm thinking they are chemically related?

Any advice on a wormer that is safe for my geese and available in the US?

#2 ·
Panacur is fenbendazole. That is often available. Generally azoles are anthelmintics- aka dewormers. Ivomec is avail and w/o an Rx. So OTC. Works well on many worms. Does not address coccidia so may want up also use corrid (amprolium.) Others suggest Apple Cider Vinegar is also natural option.

#3 ·
Panacur is fenbendazole. That is often available. Generally azoles are anthelmintics- aka dewormers. Ivomec is avail and w/o an Rx. So OTC. Works well on many worms. Does not address coccidia so may want up also use corrid (amprolium.) Others suggest Apple Cider Vinegar is also natural option.
Thank you Energyvet.

I have ivomec pour-on available in the house. Can order the panacur easily enough. Is the ivomec safe for the geese then? If so, dosage?
If I need the panacur instead, would you happen to know dosage and best way to administer? It's a paste, correct?

My geese are 10 months old.

#5 ·
Generally Ivomec is 0.2 mg/kg in anything. Birds included. Generally the injectable bottle is 10mg/ml but check the label, because there is baby pig ivomec with a different dose. (2 mg/ml I think). You can dilute if you need to for very small birds with propylene glycol. In a pinch I've used sterile water but it will be cloudy as it is an oil and water mix. It can go oral or topical. With dogs and cats I put it in an ear or on the back of neck. With a bird maybe back of neck or top of head?

#6 ·
Generally Ivomec is 0.2 mg/kg in anything. Birds included. Generally the injectable bottle is 10mg/ml but check the label, because there is baby pig ivomec with a different dose. (2 mg/ml I think). You can dilute if you need to for very small birds with propylene glycol. In a pinch I've used sterile water but it will be cloudy as it is an oil and water mix. It can go oral or topical. With dogs and cats I put it in an ear or on the back of neck. With a bird maybe back of neck or top of head?
Thank you again. :)
I just checked and my bottle of ivomec-pour on is 5 mg./ml. This is what I used to worm my chickens this year. It says 1 ml per 22 lbs. of body weight; so I guess a weighing of the geese is in order.

#7 ·
Can't help you on this one ... I never did worm my geese. (not chemically)

But I did let them have pumpkin & squash. (Which I used to worm the chickens)
Thank you for the reply. On everything else with my birds I go natural, but not with worming. I just don't feel comfortable doing so since I live in the hot, humid south and worms are so prevelant.
We just had a new vet move into the area. None of the other vets around here will see fowl. I may perhaps ring up this vet and see if I can get Tuffy and Lucy a good once over before the breeding season starts.

#10 ·
odellfarms said:
We use Verm-X as a dewormer for all of our fowl. It comes in liquid form or pellets, and it does not have a waiting period regarding egg collection. All of our fowl are extremely healthy.
Thank you! I went and looked this up (never heard of it before). I love the natural ingredients and your endorsement makes me feel ok about spending money on something new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.