Chicken Forum banner
381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
I checked the call eggs this morning and one is piped, the second one, if you candled, you can see it’s bill, and on the third egg there is movement, but I can’t see a bill or anything. For the third egg should I put a safety hole in the egg? Tomorrow is day 26 for them (aka hatching time).

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
If the eggs have internally pipped but have not externally pipped, yes, put a safety hole in the round end. Candle the eggs first to find a safe place to make the safety hole as the duckling will have moved into the air cell, somewhat. Should an egg be externally pipped, do not make a safety hole. If a duckling hatches on its own, it is time to assist any that could not externally pip. Moniter those that have externally pipped but have not zipped. Consider removing enough shell to check the membrane covering the duckling. Proceed with caution making every effort to not break a blood vein. A broke blood vein will not kill the duckling, usually, but it does make assisting more difficult. There's also a possibility of infection when blood vessels are broken. Keep your hands and clean and sterile when assisting. Do not use water to clean up blood unless it's sterile water.

Sorry for not answering yesterday-ill.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
If the eggs have internally pipped but have not externally pipped, yes, put a safety hole in the round end. Candle the eggs first to find a safe place to make the safety hole as the duckling will have moved into the air cell, somewhat. Should an egg be externally pipped, do not make a safety hole. If a duckling hatches on its own, it is time to assist any that could not externally pip. Moniter those that have externally pipped but have not zipped. Consider removing enough shell to check the membrane covering the duckling. Proceed with caution making every effort to not break a blood vein. A broke blood vein will not kill the duckling, usually, but it does make assisting more difficult. There's also a possibility of infection when blood vessels are broken. Keep your hands and clean and sterile when assisting. Do not use water to clean up blood unless it's sterile water.

Sorry for not answering yesterday-ill.
Thank you! Sadly the one didn’t make it through the night. I’ve been little by little taking shell off, but stop if I see blood. One is almost out and the other is still in its egg.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Something wrong with the one that died. Sorry that I wasn't here for you. I should have given you my email address; many posts do not come through to my email so unless I go on all the threads I don't know what's going on. In case you need it, my email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Something wrong with the one that died. Sorry that I wasn't here for you. I should have given you my email address; many posts do not come through to my email so unless I go on all the threads I don't know what's going on. In case you need it, my email address is [email protected]
Thank you, I really appreciate it. The duckling was turned at the wrong way, so he wasn’t even facing the air sac.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Shipped eggs! How unfortunate. I had a serama chick do that four days ago but it was able to externally pip so I was able to save it.
I’m so glad you were able to save it. Oh by the way, I shipped your eggs yesterday and they should arrive tomorrow, I did a two-day shipping.

Also, how did sexing the ducklings go? Is the one with the crest a female?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I was unable to do much yesterday-todays isn't much better. When I saw the duck off her nest yesterday I looked in her nest. One egg was badly crushed but when I went to dispose of it I could feel the duckling moving inside the shell membrane. We put a small rip in the membrane and stuck it in the incubator. It's still alive today. None of the eggs in the nest have externally pipped yet so we're not assisting yet-too early. I'm going to need some luck on this one!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
I was unable to do much yesterday-todays isn't much better. When I saw the duck off her nest yesterday I looked in her nest. One egg was badly crushed but when I went to dispose of it I could feel the duckling moving inside the shell membrane. We put a small rip in the membrane and stuck it in the incubator. It's still alive today. None of the eggs in the nest have externally pipped yet so we're not assisting yet-too early. I'm going to need some luck on this one!
Oh wow. Good luck and I hope you have a good hatch! One of my call ducklings just hatched! He looks all black lol!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The box was undamaged, but when opened... The small foam pieces had shifted away from the eggs and many were/are broken. Only four are intact and will be put in the incubator. With so much shifting and breaking occurring during shipping it is highly doubtful the insides are not scrambled.

Actually, I will candle the eggs now-if they're scrambled there will be visible foam-like bubbles that will go end to end when the egg is slowly turned. No bubbles so there's a chance.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The ducklings down has not frizzed out yet; still wet looking.

The first duckling looks to be a dusky and the second a blue or black pied. Tomorrow when you look at the ducklings, if the second looks black then it is a black pied. If you can post another picture of the first one tomorrow.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
The ducklings down has not frizzed out yet; still wet looking.

The first duckling looks to be a dusky and the second a blue or black pied. Tomorrow when you look at the ducklings, if the second looks black then it is a black pied. If you can post another picture of the first one tomorrow.
Ok thanks.

381 - 400 of 405 Posts