Chicken Forum banner
361 - 380 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Oh wow. That’s really cool, I never realized that. By the way, I’m shipping your eggs today. I got them to fit into the foam, but I’m having to add some stuff to make sure the are good and safe.
I'll likely put them in the incubator for the first five days then put any that are developing under a brooding duck. Room in the incubator is needed for call and serama eggs; both of which are special need assist when hatching. Another dozen call ducklings and a few more serama and I may shut the incubator down until spring. Birds sales have been falling off to the new strain of covid and winter and the holidays.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
I'll likely put them in the incubator for the first five days then put any that are developing under a brooding duck. Room in the incubator is needed for call and serama eggs; both of which are special need assist when hatching. Another dozen call ducklings and a few more serama and I may shut the incubator down until spring. Birds sales have been falling off to the new strain of covid and winter and the holidays.
Yeah. I wasn’t able to ship the eggs but will you send me the name and address for tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Ok, I will ship them Monday. Sorry about all this.
You needn't be sorry. It doesn't matter at all. I just wish you were closer; then I'd have bought adults runners from you. It's always the way it seems; so far away.

It got very cold last night. The yard was white with frost and the watering pans all froze. I was worried about the ducklings even though I knew... Many of the bantams were all huddled together (phoenix are not too cold hardy), but the ducklings were/are running hither and yon looking for liquid water and food, seemingly unaffected by the cold. Already they are getting good at free range. It's something I like about calls; they are excellent foragers and often don't even come when I feed the critters. But that will soon stop as the cold will drive the worms deep and insects into hiding.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
You needn't be sorry. It doesn't matter at all. I just wish you were closer; then I'd have bought adults runners from you. It's always the way it seems; so far away.

It got very cold last night. The yard was white with frost and the watering pans all froze. I was worried about the ducklings even though I knew... Many of the bantams were all huddled together (phoenix are not too cold hardy), but the ducklings were/are running hither and yon looking for liquid water and food, seemingly unaffected by the cold. Already they are getting good at free range. It's something I like about calls; they are excellent foragers and often don't even come when I feed the critters. But that will soon stop as the cold will drive the worms deep and insects into hiding.
Ok. Yeah, it would be nice if we where closer.

I’m glad to hear the ducklings are doing good in the cold weather. We had a ton of frost cover and a few of the waters were frozen. Is there away I could get a picture of some of the ducklings? How old are they now?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Ok. Yeah, it would be nice if we where closer.

I’m glad to hear the ducklings are doing good in the cold weather. We had a ton of frost cover and a few of the waters were frozen. Is there away I could get a picture of some of the ducklings? How old are they now?
I was surprised when I looked up the ages. The older ducklings are 6 weeks old and the younger 4 weeks old; time flies.

PJ-what surprises me is the slower rate of growth. Last year's ducklings were full size and feathered out by six weeks. This year's ducklings look to be a good two weeks behind in growth. The difference-diet. Without the hard boiled egg and meal worms the growth has slowed dramatically. And few worms and insects to find. I doubt there will be any problem with angel wing! But it also means they won't be as ready for severe cold should the weather go that way any time soon.

I have a few call ducklings in the house-between two and three weeks old-time for them to go in the outside pen, then in a week to be allowed free range.

I'll post pictures when the day gets warm enough to go out with the camera. There's a cross duckling I want to show; it's crested. I'm not sure how as I have no crested ducks. Yes, I know-hidden genes, but that gene can't be dominant or recessive. With chickens it is incomplete dominant. Can't be with ducks-yeah! More research! Of course it could be just a fluke.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
I was surprised when I looked up the ages. The older ducklings are 6 weeks old and the younger 4 weeks old; time flies.

PJ-what surprises me is the slower rate of growth. Last year's ducklings were full size and feathered out by six weeks. This year's ducklings look to be a good two weeks behind in growth. The difference-diet. Without the hard boiled egg and meal worms the growth has slowed dramatically. And few worms and insects to find. I doubt there will be any problem with angel wing! But it also means they won't be as ready for severe cold should the weather go that way any time soon.

I have a few call ducklings in the house-between two and three weeks old-time for them to go in the outside pen, then in a week to be allowed free range.

I'll post pictures when the day gets warm enough to go out with the camera. There's a cross duckling I want to show; it's crested. I'm not sure how as I have no crested ducks. Yes, I know-hidden genes, but that gene can't be dominant or recessive. With chickens it is incomplete dominant. Can't be with ducks-yeah! More research! Of course it could be just a fluke.
Oh wow! Time really does go by fast. Question, do I just feed them the same as all my other ducklings that I raised? And ok, I’ll definitely look forward to seeing pictures the ducklings, especially the one with a possible crest!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Went out to take pictures-cell phone is dead. I forgot to plug the thing in.

Crap of a day. Just don't feel right. One of the dang puppies will not stop chasing the ducks no matter what I do. Keeps on she will be rehomed. The duckling has a crest, but it's off center; almost on the side of the head. Weird looking.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Bird Beak Wood Ducks, geese and swans Waterfowl

The crest doesn't show up well in this picture. I need a close-up and this cell won't do a good close-up. KIMMI!!!!

Bird Vertebrate Light Beak Organism

These are call/mallard cross except for the two white ducklings; they're full call duck.
I'm hoping the crested is a female so I can keep her. I don't want a cross drake sowing any wild oats.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
View attachment 43260
The crest doesn't show up well in this picture. I need a close-up and this cell won't do a good close-up. KIMMI!!!!

View attachment 43261

These are call/mallard cross except for the two white ducklings; they're full call duck.
I'm hoping the crested is a female so I can keep her. I don't want a cross drake sowing any wild oats.
Oh wow. They are all getting big and beautiful. Fingers crossed you crested is a female.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
Went out to take pictures-cell phone is dead. I forgot to plug the thing in.

Crap of a day. Just don't feel right. One of the dang puppies will not stop chasing the ducks no matter what I do. Keeps on she will be rehomed. The duckling has a crest, but it's off center; almost on the side of the head. Weird looking.
What kinda puppy is it?

361 - 380 of 405 Posts