Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
It's too young to tell then. When it gets a little older it'll be easier. Male ducks have a little curled up feather on the back of their tails called a drake feather and their quack is real low and bass compared to a hen. At least I assume wood ducks are the same. According to this the males are a lot more colorful too.

Drake feather

It sounds like the wood duck is a little different than ones I'm use to dealing with though,not sure if they have drake feathers but there's a big difference in the coloring which should tell you,it takes a few months for the colors to come out usually though.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
From Google;
What kind of sound does a wood duck make? No quack.
Calls. Female makes loud "oo-eek, oo-eek" when disturbed and taking flight. Male has thin, rising and falling zeeting whistle.
At the age of your wood duck, vent sexing may provide the answer.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,345 Posts
Could you possibly send a picture of it's beak? I might be able to tell. From right now though looks like a female. Would you rather it be a drake or hen?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've heard vent sexing can be dangerous for the health of the bird,especially if you don't know what you're doing. Not trying to scare you but that's why I'll never try it. You'll probably figure it out in time once it gets older.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard vent sexing can be dangerous for the health of the bird,especially if you don't know what you're doing. Not trying to scare you but that's why I'll never try it. You'll probably figure it out in time once it gets older.
Thanks. She is looking like a female, I’ll try and get some pictures of her soon. Also, yes, it can be dangerous, but I actually do vent sex my ducklings. I breed and sell so I like to have them sexed. Recently I have not been because I’ve been hatching 70+ so that would take a while lol!

1 - 20 of 405 Posts