Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How is everyones ducks liking winter so far? I think my flock wants their pool back lol. Poor things, I'm in Wisconsin and all water freezes withing an hour or so. My pekin needs a bath bad. Sadly we lost 2 Mallards to a bald eagle last week so my flock in their enclosure for now. Normally I free range during day light hours.

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
My ducks head down to the creek every day to check if it's thawed! :) Then they come back in the evening for their grain and to sleep in the stable.
I don't have many left this year though, only ten! It was a bad year with foxes.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I don't have many left this year though, only ten! It was a bad year with foxes.
The fox are getting thick around here also. Most years we will see one or two. Just this past week my husband saw 4 while putting out feed. (3 red and 1 grey)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My ducks head down to the creek every day to check if it's thawed! :) Then they come back in the evening for their grain and to sleep in the stable.
Sorry to hear about the foxes. Weirdly this is the first year since moving here we havn't seen them around. Normally we hear them howling and see the prints.

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
The fox are getting thick around here also. Most years we will see one or two. Just this past week my husband saw 4 while putting out feed. (3 red and 1 grey)
Oh wow, four in one week? That is a lot!

Foxes are gorgeous looking animals but I will not hesitate to shoot one if need be.
I agree! If they stay away from my chickens I'm perfectly fine with them, but I don't like them being near my babies.

Sorry to hear about the foxes. Weirdly this is the first year since moving here we havn't seen them around. Normally we hear them howling and see the prints.
I guess you must have chased them all away and sent 'em to me! :p

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
How long do I have to wait to find out if my two are male or female? They are 4 weeks old now. Sure am having fun getting to know them. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long do I have to wait to find out if my two are male or female? They are 4 weeks old now. Sure am having fun getting to know them. :)
I could be worng but I'm thinking mine were about 14 weeks or so when their drake feather curled. But you can voice sex earlier. The females have a loud deep "quack" the boys have a quiet raspy quack.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Thanks for the info. :D Did find out that the boys have a black feather under the wing. Only saw that mentioned once though on another forum. Also read that their voices were different but there was no further explanation so I really super appreciate your bringing that up.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. :D Did find out that the boys have a black feather under the wing. Only saw that mentioned once though on another forum. Also read that their voices were different but there was no further explanation so I really super appreciate your bringing that up.
What breeds do you have? I always heard the feather under the wing was an old wives tale. Did it turn out to be true?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I have Pekin. Found this info under the Pekin Duck Club thread on another forum. It was only mentioned once and nobody else had commented on that tidbit. Guess I'll find out when they get all their white feathers in.

·
977 Posts
My male Pekin has the curl tail feather. The girls do have a louder quack then him too. Also my male charges at me when I walk away from him. Like he wants to pinch me! He has a few times and it does hurt! I think he is so cute when he does it do though ! They are great to watch and so soft to hold and pet!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
kaufranc - They are cute. These 2 I brought home are fast growing on me, especially now that their personalities are showing more. Love the pics you and Apyl have posted of the ducks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts