Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are these small birds that keeps going in the run and eat their food while they free range. It’s super annoying because I don’t want them to transfer diseases to my chickens.. what do I do? Will the birds make my chickens sick and have lice again… it’s really annoying they won’t stop coming in

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
Yes, wild birds can bring in disease and lice, but for the most part the birds are healthy and don't pose a significant threat. The most you can do is have a covered run. When the flock free ranges, they will come in contact with these birds anyway. To me the bigger problem is the amount of feed the wild birds eat when there's a lot of them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, wild birds can bring in disease and lice, but for the most part the birds are healthy and don't pose a significant threat. The most you can do is have a covered run. When the flock free ranges, they will come in contact with these birds anyway. To me the bigger problem is the amount of feed the wild birds eat when there's a lot of them.
The run is covered but I just keep the door open so they can go in and eat. There’s only 1-3 I’ve seen together but idk Will the birds make my chickens sick by the food though

·
Serama King
2,318 Posts
I have many wild birds coming to the poultry yard looking for feed and scrapes. Yes, there's a chance they could bring in disease and parasites, but for the most part that won't happen. Any sick wild bird does not last long and it's usually the sick that carry mites and lice; they end up as lunch for the many predators in nature. The birds I see coming for a handout are sleek and robust. Stop worrying about the wild birds and focus on those things you can do to keep your flock healthy, because healthy birds are less likely to become ill or have parasites. I got a good lesson in that a month ago. I found an older hen that was looking poorly. On examination she was covered in lice, yet when I checked others in the same coop and run, there was no lice on them. Why? I provide dirt bath trays with Sevin 5 mixed with the dirt. Only the sick hen wasn't using the tray. However, the hen was a signal for me to clean nest boxes and roosts.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have many wild birds coming to the poultry yard looking for feed and scrapes. Yes, there's a chance they could bring in disease and parasites, but for the most part that won't happen. Any sick wild bird does not last long and it's usually the sick that carry mites and lice; they end up as lunch for the many predators in nature. The birds I see coming for a handout are sleek and robust. Stop worrying about the wild birds and focus on those things you can do to keep your flock healthy, because healthy birds are less likely to become ill or have parasites. I got a good lesson in that a month ago. I found an older hen that was looking poorly. On examination she was covered in lice, yet when I checked others in the same coop and run, there was no lice on them. Why? I provide dirt bath trays with Sevin 5 mixed with the dirt. Only the sick hen wasn't using the tray. However, the hen was a signal for me to clean nest boxes and roosts.
Oh I see so I will just leave the bird alone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts