Chicken Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of people on here have Guineas?? (think I spelled that wrong) What is the reason? Pets? Meat? Eggs? Companions? I absolutely love birds! And would love to add some interesting types to my flock. Could someone just kinda give me the low down on Guineas? :) lol

·
977 Posts
They are LOUD! We had 10 and couldn't stand the noise! We reduced our number to 4. 3 girls and a boy. That is good for us. They lay little oval shaped eggs. They let us know if there is something in the yard, that isn't normal and they are awesome tick eaters! We have not had a tick yet this year . We live in the woods so we usually get alot of them! They roost and free range with our chickens no problems . Not the best pets as far as pet quality. Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaufranc said:
They are LOUD! We had 10 and couldn't stand the noise! We reduced our number to 4. 3 girls and a boy. That is good for us. They lay little oval shaped eggs. They let us know if there is something in the yard, that isn't normal and they are awesome tick eaters! We have not had a tick yet this year . We live in the woods so we usually get alot of them! They roost and free range with our chickens no problems . Not the best pets as far as pet quality. Good luck!
Really? Hm...are the eggs good?? And what if you get babies and handle them a lot?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reinerchick said:
Really? Hm...are the eggs good?? And what if you get babies and handle them a lot?
I got mine as day olds and handled them daily. They followed me everywhere and would sit in my lap. One got ate and since then the other is timid and I got three older ones that are as wild as wild could get.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
I've seen a lot of people on here have Guineas?? (think I spelled that wrong) What is the reason? Pets? Meat? Eggs? Companions? I absolutely love birds! And would love to add some interesting types to my flock. Could someone just kinda give me the low down on Guineas? :) lol
I have 10 right now and can't wait until I can get some more! They are definitely loud. But around here they get drowned out by an african grey, sun conure kids dogs numerous other animals. Lol they make excellent alarm systems nothin moves without them knowing it. They alert my other birds if hawks and squirrels lol they are bug eating machines. Ticks don't stand a chance. And when the garden is up and growing good they patrol it for bugs but don't mess with my fruits and veggies. As far as being pets. I can call mine in if I go out yelling chick chick chick. They will eat from my hand but I don't really try to hold him. And my favorite thing is just watching them. The way they run is so funny and they will be running and to stop they do a little side ways jump like they are going to slide into home. Cracks me up. Lol

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
I have 10 right now and can't wait until I can get some more! They are definitely loud. But around here they get drowned out by an african grey, sun conure kids dogs numerous other animals. Lol they make excellent alarm systems nothin moves without them knowing it. They alert my other birds if hawks and squirrels lol they are bug eating machines. Ticks don't stand a chance. And when the garden is up and growing good they patrol it for bugs but don't mess with my fruits and veggies. As far as being pets. I can call mine in if I go out yelling chick chick chick. They will eat from my hand but I don't really try to hold him. And my favorite thing is just watching them. The way they run is so funny and they will be running and to stop they do a little side ways jump like they are going to slide into home. Cracks me up. Lol
Oh also I hear they are very tasty. Iv not ate 1 so I can't speak from experience on that subject. But I was also told if you buy tje lighter colored like white or even sky blues I believe. They will be all white meat and darker colored ones are all dark meat. Like I said iv not tried them so idk? That's just what I hear. Iv not got to try eggs yet. I couldn't figure out where they were laying. Now I no where but there's hens sitting which I guess is common. Its like a community nest. All my hens lay in the same spot and all sit together. I thought mine were just nuts. But the guy I got them from says its common so? Lol sorry about the huge post. Lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got mine as week-old chicks. They looked alot like chickens and I wasn't sure what to expect. The first time I saw them eat, I fell in love! Feeding Frenzy!!! As they grew, I've decided that guineas will always have a place on our homestead, just for the comic relief if nothing else. The are the funniest little goonie birds I have ever encountered. :D

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Guineas eat ticks :) lay eggs, you can eat them, and sell their offspring. I wanted a few last year but then realized my chickens do well enough keeping the tick population down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have Guineas because they are "watch dogs". Anytime something gets close to the coop that they believe is an endangerment they will yell to alert the other chickens. They are very handy for this reason, but I'm sure there are other reasons also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow!! Thank you so much everyone! I have learned a lot about guineas! Now it's time to decide if I will get any...gonna sleep on it. But they sound wonderful :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello all.. I was thinking about.. and looking into whether or not I want to get a couple of Guineafowls. I have a few fox running around.. and I think there might be a den somewhere near by. I did allow my chickens to free range then out of no where i had seen a fox in the middle of the day and it grabbed one of my Polish show hens. He came so quiety... he must have sitting in the brush for a while to wait for the right moment to grab one of them. After that, my husband made me a big chicken tractor to keep them safe. BUT.. maybe if i got a couple of guineafowels, my chickens could free range again...? I heard they like to nest high in the trees. Sounds like I could keep them outside at night, but what about the winter? I kind of don't want them roaming around with my ckickens in our coop at night.. I rather use them as watch dogs. Would it be hard to round them up for winter months after being out all spring and summer?

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
They are wonderful alarm systems. They don't miss anything. My chickens and other birds have learned that when the guineas sound off they should hide. It works if they are fast enough. Ive lost chickens even after they were warned but it was simply bc they were to slow. Its also possible to loose a guinea every once in awhile to predators. That's part of free ranging anything. As far as roosting them with the chickens some people do some do not. I do not mine stay outside all year round. I'm in Indiana and we have the craziest weather. It can be 70 degrees one day and snow that same night. Lol I've not had any birds freeze or die from weather related issues. Letting them free range summer and spring then trying to roost them in winter would not be impossible I don't think but it woudnt be easy. I had mine in a pen in the yard when they were a little younger and they would roost on.a ladder. I eventually needed the space so I moved them into the garden and set up bamboo roosting rods with a ladder against it so they had height options. They learned to get out of the garden but would only do it when they were ready to roost and would run to their old pen and break in to roost in their old spot. During the day they would go straight back into the garden it was so funny. I was told with guineas the more the merrier. And it was recommended to me to get at least 6. I'm not an expert by any means I just started raising birds ladt year. I just share me experiences and hope it can help some.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I thought that I would get some Guineas........but, I heard that they OFTEN will leave for "Places Unknown". Apparently they are GOOD FLYERS (sort of like Gambel Quail, I suppose.)
???
-ReTIRED-:)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
My granny used to have them and I couldn't bear them. Their eggs are small, hard and they don't lay enough to justify any feed and they have little meat on their carcass. They sound like a someone banging away on tin pots and pans or running a hand saw over metal....incredibly and horribly nerve wracking!

I like a quiet place and wouldn't trade that for a few ticks...my chickens consume the ticks just fine.

Though having a few to offer as sacrificial birds to the foxes has some measure of appeal...... :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
As ChickenFarmer stated, they are good watch dogs. This morning, my 4 went crazy, which alerted my dogs, and when I went out to look, they & the chickens were watching a snake outside their pens. I'm sure the loud commotion discouraged the snake from wandering through and it decided the long-way around was more to it's liking. Besides, from everything I've heard, guineas will kill snakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts