Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slightly price conscious but at the same time I realize I am going to be eating the end result (the egg in this case and possibly chicken noodle soup).

I like this one mom and pop feed store that is small but well kept and I think the prices are reasonable and very chicken oriented. Plus, I can buy by the pound (no feed 50lb storage for 3 birds). The store is 85% chicken stuff 10% bee keeping and honey and 5% dog stuff. The others around the area are more of a single aisle.

The brands are fairly local being made within roughly 250 miles of where I am.

The brands of feed they have within my price range at the store I like are

Best Price, Only available 3 stores (premium one)
Hugelland Feed

Slightly more but available everywhere
Coyote Creek

·
31 Posts
No matter what product you buy be very mindful of the packaging date. The older the food the more likely it is stale and the nutrient value goes down. Review the ingredient list too. Can you pronounce everything on the label and know what it is or why it is in the feed?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here are the ingredients list for the 2 feeds. 1 is in pdf form. My budget is roughly $20 a month for 3 standard chickens and this is what is carried at my favorite feed store.

I have done as much research till my eyes are rolling in the back of my head and all i see is black blocks instead of words. I really have done a lot of homework and these are within budget. I buying by the pound because of small flock.

I really just want an opinion with a logically answer explaining the choice.

Attachments

·
31 Posts
We grind our own a couple days per week

I have attached a list of grains that I grind for our chickens. The ingredient list was created by a scientist friend and based on what we could get from processors nearby. I choose to grind my own so i know that it is fresh. Grains once ground go stale at different rates and you will lose nutrient values.

Just looking at the first couple of items - what are you really buying? Can they explain what the heck those first couple of items are?

garbage in = garbage out

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts