Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone know which hen laid which egg? If you're not there to witness the laying..... I'm baffled! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
By the size, shape, and color. Each breed lays its own type of egg. It doesnt take long to figure out who is laying what when it comes to your own flock.

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
By the size, shape, and color. Each breed lays its own type of egg. It doesnt take long to figure out who is laying what when it comes to your own flock.
Apyl, I have 4 Dominique pullets. How would I do that seeing that they are all 4 the same breed? I also have 1 GLW, 1 BSL, 1 RIR, (all pullets) and will be getting a few buff Orpingtons this week. I'm so excited.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
You could dye their vent with food coloring, it will transfer to the egg and you'll know. Otherwise if you get 4 identical eggs you can guess they'r from your Doms.

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I see. I have read here about all the things that "could happen" here as far as being egg bound, thin shells, shelless eggs, etc. I thought oh geez how am I gonna know. Lol

Thanks for the info. Dying their butts doesn't sound like fun, but I'm hoping that wont be necessary.

·
Banned
825 Posts
You should "Google" the words "Chicken Trap-Nest". That will give you some IDEAS.
(Basically....it is a nest which traps the laying hen....so that YOU can DETERMINE which chickens are PRODUCTIVE and which are "Free-Loaders". But....you can also use a "trap-nest" for other determinations.)
:)
ReTIRED

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ReTIRED said:
You should "Google" the words "Chicken Trap-Nest". That will give you some IDEAS.
(Basically....it is a nest which traps the laying hen....so that YOU can DETERMINE which chickens are PRODUCTIVE and which are "Free-Loaders". But....you can also use a "trap-nest" for other determinations.)
:)
ReTIRED
Thanks Bruce! Will do!! ;)

·
Banned
825 Posts
Thanks Bruce! Will do!! ;)
You are MOST CERTAINLY Welcome ! :)

I'm planning to build one myself !
( for several reasons )
I'm thinking about making it "interchangeable" with my 2 present removable Hen-Nests.
(possibly with an EXIT into a separated area.)

still STUDYING this thought. :rolleyes:
-ReTIRED- :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts