Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have two Golden Buffs and two Partridge Rocks. A month ago we got our first egg, a large medium-darkish brown one. Then later that week another of the same size and color. A couple weeks ago we started getting two small light brown eggs. We have tried stalking them to see if we can catch them in the act but no luck so far. Any idea which hen is laying which egg?

View attachment 4812

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
In my experience, whatever they are supposed to lay is not always the case so the only real way is to see them lay or come out of the nestbox,the more hens you have the harder this is.I have 6 hens and can tell who is laying which eggs and i have always kept daily records so i can track egg laying and notice what effects them eg weather,change of feed,treats etc .

For example i have a hen which is meant to lay brown eggs and actually lays white eggs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bet your smaller lighter eggs turn out to be from the partridge rocks, those look like the ones my partridge girls lay.

We've noted that even though the egg is smallish, the yolk is as big as our x-large eggs.

I feel the eggs for warmth to help me figure out who just left what.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can mark the vent with a little food coloring (I wouldn't use red) Blue and green work well. When the moist egg comes out it will pick up a little of the food color.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! After some persistence and determination, we've determined that the Partridge Rocks *are* the ones laying the smaller, light colored eggs. I was surprised because my parents have Golden Buffs as well, and they said when their chickens started laying, the eggs were very small. We have never had anything close to a small egg with the darker color eggs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts