Where's my eggs?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by markhorsley68, Sep 22, 2012.

1. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Hi guys,
    My flock consists of -
    1 Sumatra bantam cock,2 Sumatran bantam hens,2 Silkie hens,2 Blue haze hybrid hens,2 Cuckoo pekin hens,2 silver laced Wyandotte bantam hens,,2 gold laced Orpington bantam hens,1 buff Plymouth Rock hen,1 black Araucana hen,1 wheaten Marans hen,1 welsummer hen,1 partridge Brahma hen and a Norfolk bronze turkey,they all get on really well together now,since I got the Sumatran cock balance has been established!..they have a 1,000 sq. ft pen to live in that is situated in a wood inside a 250 acre deer park,all appear happy after a few health problems that seem to have stabilised...my problem is I'm getting 2 eggs per day from 18 hens??..I was getting 42 eggs per week upto a month ago,which still wasn't a huge amount for the number of hens I have but now I get 1 guaranteed every day from one of my blue haze hens and a random egg from whoever feels like laying that day...my 5yr old silkie lays more regular than my new pullets. They get wormed regularly,get apple cider vinegar or garlic in their water,get one treat per week,laced with poultry spice usually and get Farmgate layer's pellets with wheat.
    Can anyone shed some light on why I only get 10 eggs per week?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Stress? Time of year? Calcium?

3. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Possibly time of year,they have grit pots all around their pen and they get on we'll together so that should rule out calcium and stress,suppose it could be the moult but I've never had all of my hens go off lay together.

Thanks for the input.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm not the final word here. Just the first. :)

5. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Well you seem very knowledgable with the few threads you've commented on so I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Thanks Mark. I try my best. Just hoping to be a good citizen in Chicken Land. ;-)

7. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

A lot of different things can come into play ... but this is the time of year when my girls start to slow down.

The amount of daylight comes into play and as we move into fall the days will get shorter (around here ;)) ...

8. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

I've just checked some of my emails from when I bought "point of lays" and some where as young as 14 weeks so they weren't really point of lays,could be another 7 weeks before they start!

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh, we're all just such silly humans sometimes, aren't we? No worries. Now you know. So you can recalculate.

10. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

In 2 months time I'll probably have too many eggs,I'll be getting the pickling jars out again!

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

There are much worse things than that in this world. Lol

12. piglett

piglett Senior Member

there could also be a hidden cluch of eggs out in the pen area....or an egg eater of some kind

13. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

That's a good point piglet,some if the newer hens might not want to lay in the coop,I'll check the scrub around the enclosure!
    Thanks for that.