Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
825 Posts
MY turkeys are NOT living. But...they RESIDE in my Freezer.
( one of my favorite meats...I "smoke em" )
After many years of winning turkeys at local "shooting contests"....
(which I no longer do....)
I have resorted to ONLY buying them during the Holidays when they are "On Sale".
( I once worked for a Company that gave every employee a turkey at Thanksgiving.
( a very nice thing, I thought. )

I've thought about raising some....but I've got my "hands-full" with just the Chickens.
GREAT IDEA, however !

-ReTIRED- :)

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
My turkeys live on my front porch most of the time. I think they are spies. They are always peeking in my windows or pecking on the door. They free range all the time and can go whereever they please. At night they roost on my back deck its a good ways off the ground and there's a gate so nothing can come up the stairs and get them. They are suppose to roost in the coop and I use to pack them in there 1 at a time at dark and tuck them in. After several months of this. They started getting heavy and I gave up. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok. I am debating on building their own coop or just let them find their own place to roost.. They hang around our chickens now. I just worry about their nutrition as I see them eating some of the hens layer feed..

·
93 Posts
It depends. My broad breasted turkeys are behind a 3' woven wire fence and do fine. My Regal Reds are heritage birds and when they get out of the grow-out pen, they will be living in the A-frame so they can't fly away.

·
1,466 Posts
It depends. My broad breasted turkeys are behind a 3' woven wire fence and do fine. My Regal Reds are heritage birds and when they get out of the grow-out pen, they will be living in the A-frame so they can't fly away.
mine are less than 2 weeks old so they are in a brooder in the bathroom for now.
the A frame sounds good!!!
i only have 4 so a smallish A frame turkey tractor might just fit the bill.

thanks
piglett

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Oh ok. I am debating on building their own coop or just let them find their own place to roost.. They hang around our chickens now. I just worry about their nutrition as I see them eating some of the hens layer feed..
Mine free range with the chickens but don't really hang around them. I have the hardest time keeping mine from eating chicken feed. They get frd turkey crumbles and eat it fine. But they will get into the chicken feed. Will punk the cat and eat her foor and they always sneek into the feed shed as I'm filling buckets and nibble on dog food. I don't guess its to bad for them. Mine have been doing it for a little over a year and it hasn't killed them thus far so?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts