Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am going to be getting 2 ducks very soon. And I was wondering if they could share the coop with my chickens if they all get along fine?? I have a very large coop with more than enough room and nesting boxes! I am getting the ducks for eggs and as pets. :)

·
977 Posts
Cool! We kept our ducks in with our chickens till we got a new Protector Rooster. Then the Male duck just wanted to fight the new rooster. So we made them their own pin. They slept on the floor of the coop, usually in a corner. I love my ducks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaufranc said:
Cool! We kept our ducks in with our chickens till we got a new Protector Rooster. Then the Male duck just wanted to fight the new rooster. So we made them their own pin. They slept on the floor of the coop, usually in a corner. I love my ducks!
So it would be ok? I don't have any roosters because of where I live. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine Stay with my chickens too, but just make sure you don't feed your male ducks feed with calcium in it. Calcium will make the male ducks kidneys fail, so you cannot feed the males layer feed. I have had 3 males die before I found out the problem. Besides that ducks are awesome!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
briannasellars said:
Mine Stay with my chickens too, but just make sure you don't feed your male ducks feed with calcium in it. Calcium will make the male ducks kidneys fail, so you cannot feed the males layer feed. I have had 3 males die before I found out the problem. Besides that ducks are awesome!!! Good luck!
Good to know! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know either. How do you feed the males separate? What kind of feed do you use?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
How weird , I have never had a male duck die from eating layer feed.

Do you free range yours at all or were you penning them and only feeding layer feed?

·
441 Posts
My waterfowl have their own coop, actually two coops because my call ducks have their own pen and coop. Then again, I have 12 geese and 6 runner ducks, so not only is there not enough room for them in either of the chicken coops, but they'd have it a royal mess in less than a day. Four coops and counting *heavy sigh*

·
Registered
513 Posts
My waterfowl have their own coop, actually two coops because my call ducks have their own pen and coop. Then again, I have 12 geese and 6 runner ducks, so not only is there not enough room for them in either of the chicken coops, but they'd have it a royal mess in less than a day. Four coops and counting *heavy sigh*
Lol birdslave, love the *sigh*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts