When will my chickens lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by Kokoschicks, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

I have 2 silkie hens and their almost 7 months old and haven't layed eggs. How long until they will. I have a silkie rooster also.

2. rob

rob New Member

im still waiting for my silkie to lay her first she is 21 weeks old

3. kejmack

kejmack New Member

Mine generally start laying between 6 and 8 months. Make sure they are getting a lot to eat and plenty of fresh water.

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree with kejmack ...

Plenty of food & water, also I would go on and put the golf ball or wooden egg in the nest box.

5. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Okay! Thankyou! And what is the best way to keep them warm in the winter?

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

What kind of winter are we talking about ??? Your winter may be very different from mine ... general area ???

7. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Feathers are the warmest type of insulation. Besides that gradually introducing colder temps so they can adjust. And keep them dry and away from wind. Also may need more calories as they will have heat making metabolic needs as well as normal maintenance requirements.

9. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Awesome! Thanks. Yeah im new at this so if there's any starter tips you could share with me then that would be great.

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Best advice is to just keep coming back and asking questions. No stupid questions. We are all learning here - or at least we should all be learning from each other. Glad to have you aboard and I'm looking forward to watching your story unfold.

11. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Sweet yeah I hear Yaa thanks

12. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

just close any windows on your coupe. I Drilled 1 inch holes along the top of my coupe to let in fresh air and also a small screened gable vents to allow for fresh air without the wind. if you have a floor start the winter with a nice thin layer of pine shavings and slowly add more as the winter goes on as it will freeze as hard as a rock as it absorbs moisture. you won't get it out until spring!!! I also put a light in the coupe with a timer 12 hrs on 12hrs off. and I have a water heater there are several types you can pick the one that suits you best. I live in southern NH so my winters are similiar to yours

13. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Awesome those are very good suggestions. And does anyone know of any doors or flaps that I can use for the winter to keep the wind out and keep them warm. Cuz I don't have a door and they just go in at night and out in the morning by themselves. Cuz im not there every night to let them up in and out in the morning .... any suggestions?

14. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I know they have automatic doors available. At the moment your poultry are kinda "sitting ducks" for any predators. I'd definately look into some kind of door and protection from above. Just my viewpoint.

16. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Oh yeah definitely sitting ducks! But lucky nothing has bothered them yet and I've had them for a few months! But I gotta find something cuz I don't wanna spend$150-$200 on an automatic door...

17. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

You can make a wooden door, which is what I did ... add a latch and hook and you are up town. (Nice looking coop you have.)

18. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Thank;)) but im looking at something to open by itself ....

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I was just going to add that a wooden door won't solve your problem. Think you might have to bite the bullet and look into automatic.

20. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member