Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 17 plymoth rocks a week ago and i'm wondering how old they should be when i stick them outside? im in central pa, and its still getting cold at night. they dont want to be anywhere near the heatlamp i have in there and its already more than 2 ft from the ground

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am also in PA (central south kinda) if they r completely feathered and they have a coop to go in at night I don't think it will be a problem. How old r they now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also in PA (central south kinda) if they r completely feathered and they have a coop to go in at night I don't think it will be a problem. How old r they now?
2 weeks old. i know its too early now, but i was just wondering for future refrence. what part of PA re you in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume your flock is now spending time outside :) Had to say I love seeing a Dr. Who fan!
Doctor Who really is an awesome show:D.
but no, not outside yet. they are in a spare bedroom upstairs. i really dont want to lug 17 chickens up and down a flight of stairs more than once,lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
bagpiperjosh said:
2 weeks old. i know its too early now, but i was just wondering for future refrence. what part of PA re you in?
I am in Chambersburg Pa. Where r u located? I would wait till the r fully feathers probably about 4-5 weeks of age and then I think u will be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine are 6 and 7 weeks and fully feathered. They will be going outside next weekend. I turned off their heat lamp last week and started leaving them in the dark (at night) a couple days after that. Then a couple days ago, I started leaving the door open to their room to get them used to the chilly air from the basement. They're doing well, so I think they will be ready. They would go out this weekend if the coop was done!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Mine have been out in the coop since they were 4 and 5 weeks old. But I left the brooder light in the coop for them if they need it. Now at almost 7 and 8 weeks old I only turn the light on when the weather is like today (and this weekend) in the 40-50s and rain rain rain! I found a small pile of them under the light in the middle of the day today so they do need it. I think another 2 weeks I will take the light out completely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts