Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens are now 14 weeks old, and my guineas are almost 6 weeks old. I have been keeping the guineas in a cage in the coop (to keep them separate from the chickens) for a week or so. The chickens free-range during the day and the guineas have the coop/run to themselves. I am wondering when I should be able to put them all in the coop together. The guineas are still a bit smaller than the biggest chickens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What have you done? I have two guineas that are 4 wks younger than the chicks. Chicks born mid May; keets mid June.

When I moved them from their temporary brooding boxes to the coop I thought I could add them together because it was dark. I had heard that when they wake up at the morning they'll be more accepting of them.

When I went out the next morning, the guineas were in a corner being picked on by the hens. The hens were keeping them from feed and water. I move the guineas out during the day and tried it again that night adding them back to the coop. Same situation the following morning.

I took them out and have them in a covered dog kennel for now. I am trying to figure out how I can have the hens and the guineas in the coop together.

Sad...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good luck with the mixing thing. Maybe it is because mine are all contained in a coop, but mine did not mix well. When the guineas were small, the hens gave them grief. When the guineas grew up, everything went in reverse. Now we just keep them separate. I hear free-ranging tends to work better with integration.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got 9 baby keets that were hatch'd out by a Dutch Bantam hen and just intergrated them into my coop when I got home. That lil' hen would tear straight at anyone or anything that mess with those lil' ones, so it surprised me to find 3 of them missing a week later, Just Up and Gone in one night! Then a month or so later when Mama Hen Got Hawk'd & the keets were on their own, I found they kept to themselves & stay'd away from all the other birds, except my lil' blk&wht Polish Rooster. He was about the same age & size as them at the time, but 3 wks later the keets started beating up on him, so I seperated them. Later on that 1st year when they Guineas grew up, they became extreamly aggressive to all the other chickens. Literally, chasing any hen or roo that would get too close! The funny thing is they have no fear what-so-ever of my 2 Doberman Pinchers ~ & they know enough to stay away from the neighbor's dogs!! I found out later it was because the females were on a hidden nest & it was only the 3 males that gave chase & pecks to the chickens! Even to this day, the male guineas hate it when the chickens are in any kind of proximity to them, usually willing to go tearing across the driveway if the chickens are nearby and they can get a chance to whoop them!
Good Luck intergrating them, you're gonna need it as well as a tolerant temper cause they'll tick ya off when they get after a prized hen & start plucking feathers out of her as they run all across the yard!
They're Total Crazy Birds Is All I Can Say!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I introduces my guineas to my ducks and chickens when they were old enough to defend themselves(they were probably just shy of 6 months) and I had absolutely no problems!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts