Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Is drawing blood where you draw the line? How much is too much when introducing a new hen? I've tried to keep them separated but the newbie really wants to be with the others, but the feeling is not mutual.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Yes drawing blood is the line. With the pecking order they will spar off and peck but the submisive will back down. When there is brood drawn its more than just the alpha trying to get the submisive to back down in my opinion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm so nervous to let them be in the yard together. I've separated the coop and yard, but the newbie keeps hopping over the fence. When the others charge at her she flies back over. I am afraid that if I take down the fence she'll have no where to hide, as the others wot go over the fence. After a few more days I guess I should take the fence down and then just let them all have at it? Unless blood is drawn I just have to let it be? I'm hoping that first introduction without the fence will allow them to establish their order and roost together. It's getting very windy here at night and I hate that newbie's section of the coop/run has no true enclosure for her, just a crate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts