Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Add it when you feed them anything other than feed. I give mine sand from my yard a day before I start giving treats. If you dont have sandy soil like I do, you can buy chick grit at the feed store. Once they are outside and foraging they will get the grit they need on their own from the ground.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
Add it when you feed them anything other than feed. I give mine sand from my yard a day before I start giving treats. If you dont have sandy soil like I do, you can buy chick grit at the feed store. Once they are outside and foraging they will get the grit they need on their own from the ground.
Should I add a separate feeder and put it in there for them or only give them a little at a time

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Should I add a separate feeder and put it in there for them or only give them a little at a time
I put a little bowl of it in the brooder at all times once I start giving it. At first it may seem like they are eating to much of it but their not, they will eat only what they need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apyl said:
I put a little bowl of it in the brooder at all times once I start giving it. At first it may seem like they are eating to much of it but their not, they will eat only what they need.
So I need to go ahead and add some now

·
Registered
20 Posts
How old are the ducklings? The problem with little ones is they can eat all grit and no food if you put out the grit separately from their crumbles. We actually re-grind the crumbles a little finer for the first two to three weeks. About the fourth week we sprinkle some fine chick grit over the crumbles. When they are feathered out we put in a separate grit container in their pen. Same for chicks and goslings. Experiences will vary...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts