Chicken Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand hens quit/slow down laying after some 3 years. At that time do y'all kill and eat, keep as "pets", or ????

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Depends why someone got the chickens in the 1st place. Some "retire" them and let them be, some pass them onto someone else who wants them for pets, others cull them. Mine, are here to stay until they die of old age. Got them for pets and what great pets they are. Lot of company for me and a source for lots of laughs & smiles.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Like the others have said. It all depends on what you feel you want to do with them. I have every intention of making stew birds out of my ladies once they are not laying.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When mine stop laying ill leave them be and ill get some new chicks.....but I will also have to keep them away from my dad :eek:

·
1,466 Posts
Like the others have said. It all depends on what you feel you want to do with them. I have every intention of making stew birds out of my ladies once they are not laying.
same here, i'm not running an old age home for retired birds:D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine have started to slow down their production. Since I have gotten ready for a new batch, I'm looking forward to dinner.;)

·
1,466 Posts
Mine have started to slow down their production. Since I have gotten ready for a new batch, I'm looking forward to dinner.;)
once mine start to slow down i'll incubate some of their eggs & hatch out the girls who will replace them.

piglett

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
As others have said, all depends on what their purpose is.

Mine are both pets and exhibition birds so they are with me for their life.
Their eggs are a bonus, a benefit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't have mine yet, but they will be pets. After they quit laying they can keep my yard bug free, my garden fertilized and my face smiley.

And I will get new chicks for eggs and hope I can intergrate them.

·
1,466 Posts
I don't have mine yet, but they will be pets. After they quit laying they can keep my yard bug free, my garden fertilized and my face smiley.

And I will get new chicks for eggs and hope I can intergrate them.
if you only have a couple it's not bad
but i had about 50 total
the feed bill was over $100 a month
the ones not pulling their weight had to go by-by

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you only have a couple it's not bad
but i had about 50 total
the feed bill was over $100 a month
the ones not pulling their weight had to go by-by
Oh yes, for me there will only be a couple. Silkies for pets only (only 2 or 3) and 2 or 3 egglayers as pets. It's just the two of us, we don't need a ton of eggs and the poop to go with it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts