Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pekin and a Rouen when they are big enough to fly I can't let them free roam in my back yard. What should I do?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Neither a Pekin or a Rouen will fly. They cant, they are to heavy. They will jump and flap their wings and try but it will never happen.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Well, that's a relief to me to know! Finally got one of my books I had ordered off Amazon on ducks in the mail today. I was not prepared for ducks. That was TSC's fault! They're the ones that had those cute little buggers at discount in a bin! Then this farmer tells me the local farmers come and buy them when they're discounted and raise them for food! :eek: So, I had to do my duty and at least try to save a couple of them from such a horrendous outcome. :D

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Well, that's a relief to me to know! Finally got one of my books I had ordered off Amazon on ducks in the mail today. I was not prepared for ducks. That was TSC's fault! They're the ones that had those cute little buggers at discount in a bin! Then this farmer tells me the local farmers come and buy them when they're discounted and raise them for food! :eek: So, I had to do my duty and at least try to save a couple of them from such a horrendous outcome. :D
OUCH!!!

horrendous outcome...

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
See? I really did need to save them! I was just doing my civic duty to look out for those who can't fend for themselves. ;)
I think you need to check back with TS ... I know when you took the few that was there they ordered some more ... that needs a good home. :D

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I think I go to TSC too often.:eek: Last year when the Christmas gift merchandise went on clearance for cheap, two of the girls pulled a lamp with chickens on it to the side, looked me up in the phone book and called me to tell me they saved me the chicken lamp! They know I love chickens and they too have chickens. I wasn't really wanting the lamp but hey, for $10 I'll figure out something to do with it. Swapped out the shade ... and hey, I actually do like the lamp. Nice save girls! :D They really do need to put a warning sign out front though for chick-addicts. ;)

Last week they had 150 new duckies come in and 325 chicks that were still in back having just arrived! Ya, I didn't go back in for the rest of the week after that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok we'll if they stayed In my yard I would have to build a pin that I would feel like they would be sad because its not a lot of room. Should I build the pin in my backyard, there is a pond in the neighborhood with ducks... Bring them there, or take them to the family farm? What would be best for them?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Ok we'll if they stayed In my yard I would have to build a pin that I would feel like they would be sad because its not a lot of room. Should I build the pin in my backyard, there is a pond in the neighborhood with ducks... Bring them there, or take them to the family farm? What would be best for them?
Whatever you do, dont take them to the neighborhood pond they will get killed. If you have a family farm that would be great if you dont want them.
Just remember they are domesticated ducks, they will die if left loose in the wild. Also they are ducks they dont think like humans, just provide a safe home, feed, feed, and water they will be happy.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I'm sorry ... You have lost me?

What was the plan when you got the ducks?

Just a few thoughts ... If your yard is not fenced the neighborhood folks may not care for free roaming ducks. (plus it is not safe for them) Before taking them to the pond, I would check with the owner. (They may not want to tend your ducks.) If I had a family farm ... I would check with them.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Babies are sooo cute ... and then they grow up! :eek: Then a new cuteness emerges. An adult toddling along behind you as you go about your yard work, an adult scratching in the dirt next to you as you dig in your gardens, a friend happy to greet you when you come home from a long exhausting day, a buddy thrilled to have a few scraps for treats. Nope. Couldn't part with my feathered kids for nothing. Got them to keep them for all their years. Whether they like it or not! ;) Mine will be in a pen while I am not home. When I'm home and keep an eye on them, then they call run around in the back yard. They're just fine in a pen and they really don't mind. Better than being hauled off by a neighborhood dog. :eek: As for a pond, well, Lily dog is just gonna have to share her pool this summer. :D If the little sassy one will share that is. I'm finding she doesn't like to share "her" water with anyone other than her buddy (the other duck). :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sundancers said:
I'm sorry ... You have lost me?

What was the plan when you got the ducks?

Just a few thoughts ... If your yard is not fenced the neighborhood folks may not care for free roaming ducks. (plus it is not safe for them) Before taking them to the pond, I would check with the owner. (They may not want to tend your ducks.) If I had a family farm ... I would check with them.
I was planning on building a pen if that was the best option

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
A pen would be good. Mine didn't want to come out of the run when I got home this afternoon. Usually they come running out hot on the heels of the chickens. Instead they looked at me, chirped, and laid there sunning themselves. They came out about a half hour later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts