Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple stray cats in my neighborhood and my chicks are 7 weeks old. My cat has stalked them several times and I'm afraid she will kill them. Help!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a chick I suspect is a Roo, because whenever I pick up one of the pulleys, it runs over and glares at me and sometimes pecks me lightly. But if it is a Roo I can't keep it. No Roos in my neighborhood sadly...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want them to be safe but they look so sad being cramped up in their cage. They try to run out of the coop every time I open the door! :( sigh...

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
If you have stray cats I would wait till the birds are close to full size. size. As for your cat, watch it and when it stalks the chickens spray it with the hose or throw near it to scare. It will eventually get the idea. It didnt take long for my tom cat to leave our chickens alone.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I want them to be safe but they look so sad being cramped up in their cage. They try to run out of the coop every time I open the door! :( sigh...
Don't they have a run you can let them in? If not make one or make a tractor. It doesnt have to be fancy,just enough to let them out of the coop.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I made an outdoor play box for my peeps. Just 2x2's and some pieces of chicken wire. The top is open, but I use a plastic netting to keep the peeps in, and anything else, out.

On sunny days after 3 or 4 weeks I take them outside to frolic and play.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a run for them but they always run their beaks on the side of the cage and I feel like they are beating them selves up trying to get out but not yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts