What's Wrong With Him?!?!

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by BarredRock123, Oct 28, 2012.

1. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

My BR rooster is crowing... At night. He has weird schedules of crowing, such as during the afternoon (3-4 p.m). He would crow nonstop! We live in a neighborhood, not a farm so it's against the law to keep a rooster (trying to find him a better home). We would keep him in our garage at night and let him crow, then let him free range with the hens. What do, I do?? Thanks so much in advance :(

Attached Files:

2. kimberley

kimberley New Member

A rooster will crow whenever he wants to. I had one that crowed at between 2 and 4 am. I had to get rid of him. My silkie crows at daylight like he is supposed too. Your neighbors might not mind. mine thought it was cute. I didnt and i thought i might be aggravating other people so i gave him and his 2 sons away.

3. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I had the grand idea some years ago to raise 48 peeps in my greenhouse and then move them to a new built coop. Well, needless to say the husband didn't come through with the coop and they spent a year in the greenhouse and then we moved and built the new coop at the new house.

So, 8 roosters, in a greenhouse. During the full moon cycles when it is VERY bright here all of them would crow all night long.......

I feel your pain. It sounds as though he found his voice and that's that. He may crow because he hears things outside and that is his response. But there isn't much you can do about it that I know of.

I now have 6 roosters, and one likes to go up the tree at night, but that puts him about 15 feet off of my bedroom window and he is the first crower of the morning. So he is crowing directly in my bedroom. Yippee. Funny thing is he flaps his wings three times and then crows. So if you are not fully asleep you hear a weird bang, bang, bang, COCK-A-DOOOOO. He doesn't have a doodle in his doooo.

I guess in all my ramblings is, you either learn to live with it, or you eat him or you re-home him. :eek:

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

A rooster will be a rooster and yes, they can crow any time day or night. It may be for the best to find him a new home ... (sorry)

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

He doesn't have a doodle in his dooooo!!! Just tooo funny! I had a little brat that crowed at movement, at light, when he had a thought, when a leaf fell, just whenever. He was a bantam, and he would bend way over forward, and crow until he was waaay on his tippie toes and nearly bowed over backwards!! Unless it is pitch black and silent, there is nothing you can do to stop them from crowing. Sorry!

6. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Yea, when I first got chickens I really thought that all roosters crowed "Cock a doodle doo" Then I had one with just a three beat, Cock a Doooooo. And My Pepper only had two beats "Cock-DDooooo". Of his four sons two have a three beat and two have the two beat like daddy.

Of all of my roosters I have only had two with a full blown "Cock a Doodle Doooo"

AAaaaahhhh chickens......