Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what all of those floaters in the egg white are? I've never let it keep me from eating the eggs, but I have wondered about it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you referring to the white stringy things attached to the yolk? I just read about them today on Pinterest. Give me a min and I'll find their actual name......

·
Registered
187 Posts
That white stringy thing in eggs is called the chalazae (chalaza singular). (That’s a fun word!) There’s one chalaza on each side of yolk, spun in opposite directions; their job is to keep the yolk centered. I prefer not to think about it when cooking as it seems a bit grotesque to me, but you can scramble it, pluck it, hard boil it, or mix it in with your egg whites without and problems. (Imagination Station | Retrieved 16 Feb 2013)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting, I didn't know that. What I'm asking about however, is little dark spots (like something they ate?) floating around in the white. It's not all the eggs but occasionally.

·
Registered
187 Posts
calicobess said:
That's interesting, I didn't know that. What I'm asking about however, is little dark spots (like something they ate?) floating around in the white. It's not all the eggs but occasionally.
Well shoot! Here I was thinking I was being helpful, and that wasn't it at all, lol.
I have no idea what the spots are. I actually can't think of ever seeing them. Now I'll be examining eggs more closely :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts