What's Going On?

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by 7chicks, Aug 31, 2012.

1. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My 5 month old Easter Egger started limping about 5 days ago. I've been keeping her contained in my small coop/run away from the others (except for Lilah her buddy) to recoup. Figuring she must of landed wrong coming down off the roost which is low. Maybe 24" off the floor at the most.

She's not eating the greatest. I see little green poops in the wood chips. Some of it is normal consistency with the white caps, but there is green staining on the chips. I got her to eat some watery consistency cooked oatmeal made with milk. Also have her drinking some save-a-chick water mix. Noticed after she ate slowly for a bit, she sat back, stuck her neck out, then started taking gasps of air. Went back to eating a bit more after that. She hasn't been drinking much as normal either so that's why I dug out the save-a-chick mix for the electrolytes. Mixed it weak for her.

I don't know what more to do. Any suggestions? I don't want to lose her. Love my girls so much.

2. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I had kind of similar symptoms a few weeks ago. People were telling me it could be Mareks disease. I hope it's not what your hen has. I lost about 6 hens to it. I seperated the hens with symptoms from all my others.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Oh god I hope not. I'm just sick right now. I brought her in the house now and set her in a bin. She's just breathing lightly with her mouth open.

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I'm so so so sorry. I have no idea how my birds got sick. Didnt introduce any new birds or feed. They just started dying and had paralysis of the legs. Right before they died they would flap their wings wildly while laying flat on the ground. I wish I wouldn't have said anything now. I'm so sorry

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

She's been resting a lot. Does sit to eat rather than stand. She did come out of the coop this afternoon when I got home from work and laid in the partial shade for a while. I got her just over a month ago. Its so hard with them because like a little kid, they can't tell you a thing. I watch my girls like an obssesive crazy lady. :eek: Guess I should have had kids huh. Maybe that is part of the problem and my attachment to these girls. They are just such a respite from the cruelties and craziness of life. I do have some tetracycline antibiotic on hand. Maybe that would help?

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I think you're already doing the best things which are aggressive supportive care. Keep feeding her and keeping her hydrated with the electrolyte mix. Those are your best tools. Let's see how she responds.

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Have to leave for work shortly. Mixed up some fresh water with the save-a-chick. Dish inside the coop and in the run. Even leaving her a little dish of mixed fruit so she gets hydrated no matter what she eats. ;) Made it through the night. No green poops. Just her normal little brown/white ones. :) Stood up for awhile then layed back down. Will have her go back into the little coop for the day alone so she can rest. The other girls are in sight so she won't be too lonely. Going to be a rush, rush day to get back home and check on my girl. She's a sweetie.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Good luck. I'll try to keep checking back to look for more posts. Have a great day.

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Home at last. Holley is still here. Hasn't really changed much health wise. I see she did eat some of the mixed fruit I left for her this morning. Got her to take a few sips of the electrolyte water. Will bring her back in the house with me for bedtime so I can keep close eye on her.

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Okay. Well see how she fares. I have a missing cat at the moment. Really hope he shows up. I'm very worried.

11. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I hope she gets better. It's a hard thing to go through. An I hope your cat turns up. Even though I don't like cats. Only animal I really don't bond with. Except for the bobcat kitten we found. She was awesome.

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

He was a sickly kitten I took in like 15 years ago. I named him Jack cause I thought he would loose his eye. He got well and the scab fell away and he had two perfect little eyes. He's been really sick the past few weeks. I started letting him out in the sunshine cause I thought he would feel better. He wasn't eating and the second day I let him out he caught a mouse and ate it in front of me. He got better and was still pretty thin. He disappeared today when I was out in he garden with the dogs. He like to hunt in the wild area over the fence. He goes there all the time but always returns when I call him. I've been calling all day. I've looked everywhere he hides - No Jack. I'll miss him if this is it. I can't help but be concerned for my little old skinny cat.

Thanks for listening to my tale of woe.

13. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Gosh I was hoping to get on here and hear he had come back home. =( Cats are such peculiar animals. Its hard when they just disappear. I've had a few of mine do that. The not knowing is awful. Will keep sending good thoughts that all works out well. You've been through enough lately! Hugs!

Brought Holley (chicken) in for the night. Got her to eat 4 very well chopped up cherry tomatoes. Added in some water as the dish got down. She ate every bite & drank almost all of the tomato juice & water. Resting again now. Still doing that funny breathing thing. Notice she adjusts her throat a lot after she eats.

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hi. Thanks for caring. So I was talking to my son at college and a call comes in from the veterinary referral hospital. Someone had picked him up thinking he was a stray. So I had to 30 minutes away to pick him up. He's home now. Tucked in for the night with my others. The only reason I got him back was because he was microchipped. I microchip all my animals. I was in the back yard with the dogs and my other cat, and they were taking him from he front yard. Whew! Glad that's over.

I'm happy your chicky seems to be holding her own. I want you to look up gape worm and chicken pox (wet or dry form) and see if either of those seem to fit her symptoms. There is some of that going around the New England area chickens supposedly so I thought I would mention it to you. This is a "diagnosis" from a farmer so I don't know how much to trust it but I thought it might be helpful to you.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Here is his picture

Attached Files:

16. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Awww, I'm soooo glad Jack is back! He's beautiful! I have my older rat terrier microchipped. Plan to do the same with my rescue rat. She was so under weight when I got her 6 months ago that it wasn't a good time. Now she's nice & healthy.

Holley made it through another night! :D Giving me hope she will get through this. I'll definitely be looking up what you mentioned above. Wanted to give an up-date first thing this morning. Gotta run for work but will be back later this afternoon. Thank you so much for your support Energyvet. Means a lot!!!

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Same here. As I was driving home with Jack in the carrier meowing in the back seat, all I could think was telling you he was home so we could celebrate together. Good to have connections! Thanks for your friendship. :)

18. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Okay, looking up gape worm. She does that neck stretching for air on occasion. Does a lot of readjusting her throat after so many small bites of food. I've been keeping her isolated for the past few days. She came out of her coop when I got home and has been laying in the run this afternoon. Hubby made her some oatmeal this morning and she did take a few bites then. If she has gape worm, I was reading to look down her throat because you will see them. Just how on earth do you get a chicken to sit still enough to look?

19. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Just sat with Holley and looked in her throat. Lots of heavy mucus in there. Rubbed her chest a little and all of the sudden she started vomiting a bunch of clear to cloudy mucus along with inch long piece of grass, piece of leaf, and a couple pieces of very small tomato skin. Now I'm really at a huge loss as to what to do.

20. annlouise

annlouise New Member

maybe you have cleared what was causing her problem?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you x