What's for Dinner?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by chickenqueen, May 11, 2018.

1. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

What are you having for dinner?We all eat and it's fun to see what people eat.Or maybe someone is having something that sounds good to you,too,or maybe something you've never had but would like to try.Today I'm fixing a pot roast with carrots,potatoes and an onion or two for flavor.With no teeth at the moment I'm limited to what I can eat but I bet I can eat pot roast.Haven't decided if I'm doing it in the oven or on the stove,depends how warn it gets.What are you having?

Sylie and boskelli1571 like this.
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

This is a good thread. I'll have to write later ; I have an appointment later.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Well-Known Member

roast pork loin with yams and beets. Apple crumble for dessert---
    I love pot roasts, I use a pressure cooker for most of them so the meat just falls apart - no teeth needed :)

chickenqueen and seminolewind like this.
  4. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Probably an egg bake.Since i have soooooooo mannnnnyyyyyy eggs>:rolleyes:

5. seminolewind

crow1.jpg I don't have to worry about having too many eggs. We and the crows race for eggs every day.

But now we have bacon!

I've been dabbling in Turkish food. I've cooked maybe 5 times in the last 18 years. Long story.
    I recently cook just to cook and try things. 2 weeks ago I made cigar borek. Like Spanakopita but rolled into cigars and fried. Feta or meat, or anything. Cucumber salads with tomato and onion, Turkish potato salad with oil and lemon juice and pomegranate molasses dressing.

Sue, you make me drool! I have a piece of lamb shank in the freezer. Never made lamb before except for Adana Kebab.
    I have been discovering the joy of Italian parsley and cilantro.

My next is drunken beans. Can anyone recommend a good crusty bread to go with a main meal of soup?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Nm156 likes this.
  6. DuckRunner

DuckRunner Active Member

Shepherd's pie and apple crumble for desert. Just cuz i'm in Iran doesn't mean i don't love shepherd's pie!

7. boskelli1571

Being from England I love lamb! Most Americans seem to not like it. when it is cooked properly it very tasty..

seminolewind likes this.
  8. chickenqueen

Sem,I still can't get over your crows,that's too funny.Tonight I was going to make hot ham and cheese sandwiches after a day of fishing but when I got up,Dale was gone.I reckon he had to work but never mentioned it as I got the poles,tackle box and everything else together last night.I even went out and dug up worms in the old straw pile.And he never said he had to work today,so I'm feeding him leftover pot roast tonight and I might even heat it up for him.....:D

Sylie, seminolewind and boskelli1571 like this.
  9. boskelli1571

Yees! People don't get it when I tell them Shepherds pie has to be lamb - otherwise it's not Shepherds pie :)

10. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA Member

Totally with you! If it is with beef, it's cottage pie, or probably more accurately, Cowboy's pie.

I LOVE a (genuine) shepherd's pie!

11. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA Member

For an early lunch today, I had leftover vegetarian chili. 3 different beans, canned diced tomato, a bit of acorn squash, chunks of onion. With the appropriate chili seasonings. Topped with cheddar.

Dinner is going to be a salad (lettuce, bell pepper, cuke) topped with skate wings lightly breaded in arrowroot flour and pan fried with ramps. Some cilantro and capers for garnish.

chickenqueen and seminolewind like this.
  12. seminolewind

Okay, my non cooking for 18 years story. My first husband of 11 years always sat at the table for dinner , never getting up early to "do something". He always made a point of saying "that was very good" and "thankyou for the meal". It also gave us time to talk. He was a lot of things not so good, but meals were important to him. He was happy and cooked food on the weekends as well. These were the days that all my meals had a meat, a salad or vegetable and a starch and nothing from a can or frozen. He loved leftovers.

Then I get my current husband. He had 2 boys (teens) on the weekends . During my last dinner made, I worked all day on a pot roast with all the fixings and they spent dinner watching a movie and not any attention to me. So I stopped cooking.
    May sound petty and he still doesn't know why I don't cook, but it's hard for me to go from "special" to "average" and spend the time doing something that is just not acknowledged in any way. Call me petty, but it's the truth. I have now started to cook for my own enjoyment without thought to anyone else's and when I feel like it.

Sylie, Artemis_MA and boskelli1571 like this.
  13. seminolewind

I've been mixing 1/2 hamburger with 1/2 minced lamb meat just to make it more appealing to some.

boskelli1571 likes this.
  14. seminolewind

I love leftovers and can happily eat them for 3 days. Recently I got somewhat addicted to cukes and tomatoes and onions in a salad.

Sylie and Artemis_MA like this.
  15. boskelli1571

I make burgers with that mixture and they are to die for - of course, I have to add some Lea & Perrins sauce in the mix to make it zip.

Artemis_MA likes this.
  16. chickenqueen

I got a rack of pork back ribs in the smoker.So,bar-b-q ribs tonight.I made a cheesecake last night for desert tonight.I love cheesecake but they ALWAYS crack.I tried a different recipe and it called for turning the oven off and leave it in there and don't open the oven door for 5-6 hours.Well,when I got it out this morning it had a big crack and the edges were real brown.I was going to try putting it in a pan of water while baking(does that work?)but the pan I needed was out in the baby coop keeping the water out of the straw.Haven't decided what else I'm gonna have,it'll come to me later.Reading everybody else's menus gives me ideas and makes me hungry,especially the salads,which I can't eat at this time.Bummer!!!

17. boskelli1571

I'm driving up for dinner...;)

seminolewind likes this.
  18. chickenqueen

Come on,there's plenty but desert will be less than perfect.Dale got some off the pan sides and he said it was tasty,though.

seminolewind and boskelli1571 like this.
  19. seminolewind

Go to Amazon and order " Turkish seasoning" by Penzeys Spices. Mix a Tbls into a pound of beef/lamb mixture. You will die a tasty death. There is nothing better than that!

boskelli1571 likes this.
  20. seminolewind

I don't know how to make pork ribs.