Chicken Forum banner
1961 - 1980 of 2002 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
I don't have good luck with netting. The turkeys patrol constantly and that probably helps with the hawks. They run off dogs, cats etcetera.

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
Mine run off cats when they see them, but not dogs; at least not big dogs. Little dogs are pretty much ignored-likely because we have little dogs.
The EWTs here are very territorial, they pretty much ignore me but whenever Melissa comes with her car, they go running because they know they will get treats.

Reactions: robin416

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow, that is beautiful weather! Wish I would get snow in November.
It's still in the 50's though at my place!
It is pretty, but the chickens are like, Nope! Lol. They didn’t come out of their run until later in the day after the snow melted. 🤣 Last year my son had to shovel walking paths for them because they wouldn’t walk in the snow.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Trimmed down the pigeon flock to just the few that had moved into the turkey shed; for now the loft sits empty. I already miss the big flock circling the property, but by spring the few will be more and more and more. It's surprising how fast the flock grows even though pigeons/doves only raise two squabs at a time; at most.

Another duck has gone broody and I've started collecting the mallard eggs to feed back to the birds. I do wish spring were here. I have never been a winter person.

Robin-it is close enough to a month having gone by.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,972 ·
OK, I'll remove what's there now and start collecting. I'm glad you said something, there's been so much turmoil here I couldn't remember when I separated them or where I posted it to tell me the date.

Warning though, I have not seen any breeding going on with them. We might have to give them a second try in the Spring.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
OK, I'll remove what's there now and start collecting. I'm glad you said something, there's been so much turmoil here I couldn't remember when I separated them or where I posted it to tell me the date.

Warning though, I have not seen any breeding going on with them. We might have to give them a second try in the Spring.
If the males are crowing the eggs will be fertile and if it's wait until spring, that's fine too.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,975 ·
Ah Ha! I knew I knew something. No they are not crowing. Actually none of them is right now. I hadn't realized that until just now.

The first time I hear crowing I'll start separating the tuxedos out.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Ah Ha! I knew I knew something. No they are not crowing. Actually none of them is right now. I hadn't realized that until just now.

The first time I hear crowing I'll start separating the tuxedos out.
They are likely not gong to crow until there's more light and longer days; spring. Mine are still crowing though, so maybe. Cortunix are very effected by light and day length.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Luckily me and the Mrs. are still above ground. Yesterday we had an appointment to sign our Wills but the furnace started acting up. I decided I wouldn't do like my neighbor and put it off until it was too late,so I kept the appointment and had the repair guys coming today. This morning after awhile it started running and heating the house but a half hour later the carbon monoxide alarm went off. ADT called the fire department,they came and checked it because I wasn't sure if the alarms were faulty or not. It checked 52 PPM at the furnace instead of the allowed 9 PPM. We shut the gas off and furnace down. The repair guys came and checked the furnace,after just a few minutes of it running their reading was 20 PPM coming out of the floor vent. The furnace is shot,bad heat exchanger. Luckily we weren't both asleep,she was but I wasn't,or we very well could be gone. Thank God I had ADT put in the alarms a few years back,I've had smoke detectors but not carbon monoxide detectors.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,978 ·
That's a close call. Many years ago when I was about six years old the same thing happened. I woke up sick. Went to get my Mom and collapsed. That was way before alarms.

I hope you have another means of heat until you can get a new unit installed. It's a bad time of year not to have heat.

·
Registered
956 Posts
That's a close call. Many years ago when I was about six years old the same thing happened. I woke up sick. Went to get my Mom and collapsed. That was way before alarms.

I hope you have another means of heat until you can get a new unit installed. It's a bad time of year not to have heat.
We've got electric heaters,they're not heating it up ;like we'd like but at least we're not freezing. There goes the electric bill though :rolleyes:

1961 - 1980 of 2002 Posts