Chicken Forum banner
1901 - 1920 of 1932 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
While feeding this morning I saw that Silky has a silkied brother, but with a small crest. I need to get out side a catch him before a predator does.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
They're all serama chicks from a flock of smooth and silkied serama so the eggs are from different serama hens and roosters.
Oh ok, gotcha. They are such cuties! I love chicks, Mine got so big really fast! But the only thing I'm not a fan of is when your holding them and they just start pooping on your lap..

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Oh ok, gotcha. They are such cuties! I love chicks, Mine got so big really fast! But the only thing I'm not a fan of is when your holding them and they just start pooping on your lap..
Serama are the smallest breed of chicken. A few of my hens are just a bit over 1/2 pound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The picture is of Silky and her silkied sibling.

\

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Today?? Really not sure what I will do. I suppose I'll look around the yard and do what needs doing.

I have been trying to find black phoenix hatching eggs. The problem is that many people raise phoenix that carry their tail high; and I get that as the tail stays cleaner. But phoenix are supposed to have tails like pheasants; carried horizontally or down so it drags behind. If anyone has ideas of where... ?

I suppose I'll have to get those with tails high and breed them with mine to get what I want. That just takes so much time. Or I can make my own by crossing my phoenix with the black cochin. It's not a good cross as the cochin basically have no tail.

Three new baby serama today.

RR has gone broody again. This time she didn't lay any eggs at all. When I saw her visiting a nest box I put a couple dummy eggs in it. Now she has three serama eggs that were not claimed and a single phoenix egg laid on the ground.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
Today?? Really not sure what I will do. I suppose I'll look around the yard and do what needs doing.

I have been trying to find black phoenix hatching eggs. The problem is that many people raise phoenix that carry their tail high; and I get that as the tail stays cleaner. But phoenix are supposed to have tails like pheasants; carried horizontally or down so it drags behind. If anyone has ideas of where... ?

I suppose I'll have to get those with tails high and breed them with mine to get what I want. That just takes so much time. Or I can make my own by crossing my phoenix with the black cochin. It's not a good cross as the cochin basically have no tail.

Three new baby serama today.

RR has gone broody again. This time she didn't lay any eggs at all. When I saw her visiting a nest box I put a couple dummy eggs in it. Now she has three serama eggs that were not claimed and a single phoenix egg laid on the ground.
Sounds nice! Any pictures of the newly hatched fuzzies!

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
Not yet. Last time I looked there third chick was almost out. I'll have my Kimmi do the picture when the chicks are all dry as her cell does a better job with tiny and detail.
Great, thank you! Who's Kimmi?

1901 - 1920 of 1932 Posts