Chicken Forum banner
1881 - 1900 of 1932 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
This is something I have struggled with in the past; last spring. I didn't do what I knew should be done and as a result more and more of my birds died, hundreds of dollars worth the ducks and bantams and turkeys; killed by their dog. No amount of talk with the neighbor changed anything. So I fenced the whole backyard. Fences don't keep out cats. I already know that talk with the neighbor is a waste of time. Call the police-they'll tell me to shoot the animal. Do you think it's a good idea to let the cat continue to kill my birds-of course not. Then what?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Okay, now that I know the whole story, I see where you're coming from. We had some neighbors who had a bulldog and he'd come up here and mess with the chickens. The man wouldn't do anything about it so dad finally had enough and shot it. Later, my dad found out that the dog belonged to the man's daughter. That dog was her baby. She was devastated.
I look at the blasted animal--and no--I can't kill it.
Thank you. Only a real man wouldn't do that. Any other options?

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
I should have stayed in bed-dark, gloomy, lightning, and thunder. More rain. Two ducklings gone, Two phoenix cross teens gone. Sick EWT. When it rains it pours, both figuratively and literally!

The neighbors got a new pet; cat. And it spends its time here. Live traps set out and rifle is loaded. The neighbors will not have their pet for long.
Haha, so funny! Hope that cat doesn't get your birds.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
I know. Too bad they won't do anything about it. Like, "keep the cat inside!"
I know, His neighbors just think their cat can kill his chickens and they aren't going to do anything about it, I mean get real..

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
The cat problem has been solved and best not talked about; highly irritating subject.

Today I'm cleaning brooders in the house and moving chicks outside or to a different brooder. A friend in WV sent me some hatching eggs from her silkied serama. Of the original 16, 11 eggs have begun to pip today, so it's time to get everything ready. With my memory, I want to keep these chicks separate from chicks from my own birds. The problem is that Nat has her silkied and smooth serama housed together so I'll have to cross my fingers and toes that some of the chicks will be silkied. Right now, I just hope the hatch goes well and none DIS. Once the hatch is complete, I'm going to take a break from the incubator and let the birds do the work.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
The cat problem has been solved and best not talked about; highly irritating subject.

Today I'm cleaning brooders in the house and moving chicks outside or to a different brooder. A friend in WV sent me some hatching eggs from her silkied serama. Of the original 16, 11 eggs have begun to pip today, so it's time to get everything ready. With my memory, I want to keep these chicks separate from chicks from my own birds. The problem is that Nat has her silkied and smooth serama housed together so I'll have to cross my fingers and toes that some of the chicks will be silkied. Right now, I just hope the hatch goes well and none DIS. Once the hatch is complete, I'm going to take a break from the incubator and let the birds do the work.
Oh that's a relief.. Hope everything goes well with the hatching eggs..

1881 - 1900 of 1932 Posts