Chicken Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1760 Posts

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Getting very weary of rain and more rain; rain so hard you can't see a foot away. And lasting for hours at a time. Lettuce and some bonsai are rotting because of the ever dampness and humidity. Most of the garden is starting to look like a miniature jungle. It sure is hard to get anything done outside and the mud... it's everywhere and nasty.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
I hate this weather! I just typed a lengthy silly post, the screen went black for a moment, and my post is gone-don't feel like being silly now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Getting very weary of rain and more rain; rain so hard you can't see a foot away. And lasting for hours at a time. Lettuce and some bonsai are rotting because of the ever dampness and humidity. Most of the garden is starting to look like a miniature jungle. It sure is hard to get anything done outside and the mud... it's everywhere and nasty.
Wow, it's raining? Here it's sunny and almost 100 degrees.😓 Where do you live?

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
She’s it’s been sloppy wet around here the past few days! Dumping 1-1.5” at a go more than once!

So I wanted to share the newest girls in our flock, the Australorp pullets, Henny Penny and Checkers! They’re about 3 months old and the children- well one is- of our rooster Penn we gave to this guy. The second pullet seems to be an Ameraucana mix actually- and he admitted other than his Lorpie kids the rest were questionable paternity. And in the mixed flock pen she came from- I am positive she is a mix. I’m sure I’ll be able to show you why later- it’s clear now- tho I can see why initially she seemed full Australorp at first glance and why he snagged her. I don’t care in the least- actually I’m kinda glad she’s a mix cause she’s pretty and I can tell them apart! Ha! And they’re both SUPER sweet.

And silly girls missed each other so much they shared a nest. All. Night. While Jackie made a super nest for the night.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
A hateful day-dark, gloomy, and 92% humidity. I checked the birds just before dawn; a young pigeon sitting in the mud; chickens, turkeys, and pigeons all mixed up on the roosts; a new d chick on the ground cheeping; the broody hen on the roost; another broody sitting in the nest box corner, eggs uncovered, but still warm; the nest where the chick should have been with five other eggs and chicks was empty; the hen in the corner had two turkey eggs gone; a phoenix missing two eggs; a month old muscovy gone. Obviously, I had interrupted a raid. Stinkin' predators-thinking raccoon or opossum.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Now I'm catching all the small free range birds; call and muscovy ducklings. A small hawk has moved in(could hear it screaming trying to scare something into the open). I think the small hawk species are worse than the larger species. Those blasted little ones flit through the tree branches and then make a short quick dive-death and done. The roosters don't seem to see them until it's too late. The large hawks don't even get close before everyone is running for cover. This has not been a good bird day!

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,699 ·
It's always a problem and the only thing that can be done is lock down since shooting the raptors isn't that easy.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
It's always a problem and the only thing that can be done is lock down since shooting the raptors isn't that easy.
I gave up long ago to try and shoot a hawk; just wasted effort. All my smallest birds, not pigeons, are locked in with screen covering their cages. Tomorrow the pigeons will stay in the loft. Drat and double drat. Now to get dry bedding under the serama's feet. At least it isn't raining...

How are you and your pets doing this day?

1681 - 1700 of 1760 Posts