What's everyone up to?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by robin416, Feb 21, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

You're not alone. I know of someone else that was running into the same issue. I was lucky, I had the space in my house to let them stay indoors as long as necessary.

2. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I've got space,I've got the whole upstairs,problem is I don't have enough containers. I have a cage I normally use when they get this size but it's in the garage and it's too big for easy cleaning for in the house,well upstairs anyway. I don't know if I can scrape up enough for another tote,feeder and waterer until payday and that's not until the 3rd. They need moved long before that. I guess I could just let them run free upstairs and crap everywhere......not.

3. GaChicken_Chick

GaChicken_Chick rkluse4570

I had totally forgotten to share these! In certain styles of bonsai they use ceramic or metal animals/buildings/people as a decoration. I was gifted these 3 ceramic chicks for christmas by a bonsai friend! 20200324_125936.jpg

4. GaChicken_Chick

I'm also running into that problem. Have 4 chicks that are going to need to go out soon but I don't have a pen ready. I hope that I will be buying and setting a dozen buff laced polish bantam eggs

5. robin416

Do you have power to the garage? You could put them out there in the cage with the heat lamp.

444lover likes this.
  6. robin416

GCC, those little figurines are adorable. I do remember a bonsai with an oriental style building.

I remember you burning the candle at both ends years ago. Sounds like you're still at it. :p

What's happening with work?

7. GaChicken_Chick

We're under no public access, pretty much phones and emails only. Also skeleton crew on staff, everyone who is able to work from home or field is there. I'm not burning it as bad as I used to. With these 4 babies I'm up to 6 chickens. I am however working 2 jobs. That is exhausting even though I like both jobs.

8. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Of course there's power out there,what good's a garage without power :D,I had to pick at you lol.;)
    That was my plan to put them out there with the heat lamp but for the next 2 weeks there's going to be some nights that'll get down to the upper 30s and highs only in the mid 50s. I'm not to worried about the 50s but the upper 30s might be too cold even with the heat lamp. That's why I was asking,I wasn't sure. That would give the duckling that's having problems a tote to himself which he needs,even though his chirping will drive me nuts lol. If after a week or so if he still hasn't pulled out of it I'll probably put him down.

9. robin416

Maybe not quite as bad but you also just moved.

Have you noticed the difference in traffic when you have gone out? It's weird.

10. robin416

Thicker skinned that that. You'll have to try harder.

Yeah, 30's is getting a little too low even with the heat lamp. You might hate this idea but it kind of goes with letting them run around everywhere. Do you have some extra welded wire or maybe even X-pens? One time I had to bring in an adult Silkie but I already had a boatload of peeps in a brooder my computer room. I took an X-pen, put some shavings on the floor and put the adult girl and the peeps in the pen. That way she wasn't alone, they were still in and had enough space.

Sylie likes this.
  11. 444lover

444lover Active Member

No I don't have either I don't think and my wife would kill me if I let them ruin the upstairs carpet plus the smell would be bad after a few days of not cleaning it. Even if I did I wouldn't know how to put it up,there's nothing to fasten it to upstairs. Hmm,dang it. If you're talking about the X-pen I'm talking about and I'm probably not,what I had was X-fence which was about worthless.

12. robin416

I hadn't figured on carpet. I didn't have that in my home office.

We might be talking about the same thing. It's a folding temporary metal fence.

13. 444lover

444lover Active Member

No,I looked it up,what I was talking about is flimsy plastic netting you put around plants in the garden to keep deer and rabbits out. That stuff you're talking about doesn't look like it has a bottom tray,with as messy as ducks are with water it has to have a tray. The cage I got has a tray and it's smaller than them I think but getting the tray down the narrow,turning stairway without dumping it would be next to impossible.
    I think I might have come up with a solution,I'll try it tomorrow.

14. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Is your upstairs completely open? Or are there rooms up there? confine them to one room and put dog potty training pads on the floors, get the XL ones. That's what I use for my "hospital" pens. It won't bother the ducks like it does the chickens. The chicks toenails stick to it for some reason and it tears them open then they think the little absorbent ball things inside become food...not good but with ducks, it doesn't happen, their toenails are different.
    If you need to section off a corner of a room for them, use a couple of chairs or something to hold up some cardboard as makeshift walls (secure the cardboard, obviously). Window screen from old windows or screen doors can be duct taped or stapled to things to create walls. Get creative with everyday objects, a piece of plywood cut to whatever size you need, an old screen door itself, as is makes a great temporary wall for duckies. Ducks are different than chickens in that if they see something that they think is a boundary, then it's a boundary, period. You could even use something like a piece of cloth or a sheet as a wall, just make sure you anchor all of the sides and the bottom just in case they get curious and try to get out underneath.

If you go with your cage, you can still put dog training pads in the bottom of it, it will absorb the water they splash which is better for them than the plastic tray, they won't be laying/standing in water and wet bedding all of the time. plus, you don't have to try to carry the tray anywhere, just take a garbage bag with you, fold up the potty pad while its still in the cage so that nothing leaks or falls out while you remove it right out from under them, toss it in the garbage bag and replace it, done!

As far as heat for them goes, they need to be kept at the same temp as chicks, you might be able to get by with 5 degrees cooler than chicks but I wouldn't go any lower than that, normal house temp of 72 is not warm enough for them until they are 5 to 6 weeks old or 90% feathered, whichever comes first. I don't know much about geese so I can't compare for you there but I know ducks and ducklings.

444lover likes this.
  15. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Thanks for the info.

16. GaChicken_Chick

With all this Corona going on here is one of my azaleas about to pop! And a couple of my red japanese maples 20200401_192246.jpg 20200401_192514.jpg 20200401_192547.jpg

17. robin416

The Azalea is a lot bigger than I thought it could get in such a tiny pot. But dang, the blooms on it. It's amazing!

I'm partial to Japanese Maples so they are my faves at this point. But I do reserve the right to change my mind. A lot. :p

18. GaChicken_Chick

Technically bonsai can be up to 4ft tall. That one was collected out of the ground 2 years ago, I should have worked the roots back in February bbbuuuuuttt I didn't get to it. I'll be able to once it stops blooming. Japanese maples are one of my favorites, and there's thousands of cultivars to choose from! I currently have original green, red laceleaf (possibly crimson queen but not sure), Bloodgood, a red non-laced variety (I think rhode island red), Sharp's Pygmy, and Kiyohime. I want Shishigashira, autumn moon, mikawa yatsabusa, and mikawa arkawa. I've had Kotohime and I can say for sure I don't want another, tended to have fungal issue (died of it).

19. robin416

Do you know which one the second pic is? I've always liked the feathery leaves and red color.

So, one of the techniques is to keep the roots trimmed back to keep them small?

20. GaChicken_Chick

That's the one I'm pretty sure is crimson queen. Another that is beautiful but you have to be careful with is red lace filigree. It's a 2-3hr morning sun and rest of the day shade because of how delicate the leaves are. but man its beautiful!