Chicken Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1395 Posts

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Busy day started with a storm that shut down just about everything. The internet was sporadic; on for only minutes at a time. No phone reception either. Turkey poults hatching-puppies being born-a poult who couldn't find mom and ended up wet and under the broody muscovy duck-incubator went off. And now the sun is in and out. I'm guessing there will be at least 8 puppies; 3 so far-a long labor. 15 turkey eggs and I will be thrilled if I get 12.

A special Thank You to Robin for texting my wife this morning when I could not get through to her about puppies and problems.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
You're welcome. Kimmi now has my phone number, add it to yours. We'll get a phone tree going. If something happens we each have a way to reach out. Just so you know, I'm not a phone talker.

I was gone before 7 this morning. The fix on my tooth was fast and pleasant. Translation? No numbing.

Have the rest gone well? Maybe it's time to retire her if she has such scary issues having puppies.
I'm not a phone talker anymore. Sassy does not seem to be having problems, but the puppies are long in coming. Only last time did she have problems and that was because the puppies were huge. However, I do think she needs a very, very long break; at least a year. Sassy is 3 years old.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,343 ·
You should also know, I check the forum when I'm away from the computer too if I'm in a waiting room for a few minutes.

I don't know, if they're struggling that hard in labor it's a sign that something isn't right.

It sounds like you've got new life popping out all over the place.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Hello Dan, sorry I didn't get you message right away, I was in town getting farm stuff. I did leave her a message and I see Robin contacted her also.
Not a problem. I also contacted OM figuring people might be away; she hasn't replied so I guess she was away too. Once again, thank you Robin, Kimmi and her Mom are at a doctor appointment; she's still not home. Watching and assisting Sassy and assisting two poults has me frazzled. One poult was almost gone when I broke the egg open; it is doing well now... in the incubator with the other poult that was shrink-wrapped. I have my 12 poults. Two eggs did not pip... yet. This turkey hen has the habit of laying a few eggs well after she has started brooding, so 12 might become ?? One chick was crushed under mom's foot. I hope no more go that way. It seems some are lost every time the turkeys hatch eggs in this way. The poults are just so small in comparison to Mom's big body. But 12 is a good number!

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,346 ·
You have heard from her though, haven't you? She sent me a text, or someone did, saying thank you.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Man 444, you've been getting pounded lately. How is your wife doing? It sounds like surgery may not be needed at least.

Excellent vid. What was so interesting in that corner of the house that had them hanging right there?
No surgery at the moment at least.

The wife is doing ok,just mad at herself for going out there to see how my fishing was going.

I'm not sure what the deal was in that corner if it was the weeds or the gravel or what it was.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,348 ·
It's tomorrow, what did the doc say.

Tell her to stop kicking herself. I don't know what it is with women and that type of injury but I know two that broke ankles just stepping down a step wrong. Those involved surgery, pins and plates. She at least has the fact it was an unexpected hole in the ground and not something as mundane as a back step.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Has it ever. That's a long time to be in labor. Any idea how many more are left?
Labor started and stopped; not constant. She had a much easier time than last time. Sassy and her seven puppies are doing well.

Ma turkey hatched 12 and adopted the older poult who's mother has a nest of eggs again. Turkey is coparenting with a mixed bantam hen that had some of the eggs. The last two eggs had died quite a while back, but I got my 12.

Another storm this morning. Warm and very humid. A soaked world here for sure.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,352 ·
Seven. Sassy is going to be busy.

I really like when foster mommas will take on the caretaking of another's little one. I guess that's one of the things that didn't get bred out of domestic turkeys. It was hit or miss with Silkies. Some were more than willing while others would attack anything that wasn't their own.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's tomorrow, what did the doc say.

Tell her to stop kicking herself. I don't know what it is with women and that type of injury but I know two that broke ankles just stepping down a step wrong. Those involved surgery, pins and plates. She at least has the fact it was an unexpected hole in the ground and not something as mundane as a back step.
Which doc are you referring to,I've seen more docs here lately than I can keep up with 🤣🤣? .I saw 1 last Thursday,1 yesterday,seeing 1 today and another tomorrow.. Basically as of now it's just a matter of taking my blood pressure medicine and getting monthly injection in my eye.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,354 ·
The ortho your wife was supposed to see for the break.

I'd be lost without my calendar these days. The plus is that you will find a balance soon. All the coming and goings I had happening was dizzying. Now I'm more on a level plain.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Labor started and stopped; not constant. She had a much easier time than last time. Sassy and her seven puppies are doing well.

Ma turkey hatched 12 and adopted the older poult who's mother has a nest of eggs again. Turkey is coparenting with a mixed bantam hen that had some of the eggs. The last two eggs had died quite a while back, but I got my 12.

Another storm this morning. Warm and very humid. A soaked world here for sure.
That's what the weather is like here too.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Seven. Sassy is going to be busy.

I really like when foster mommas will take on the caretaking of another's little one. I guess that's one of the things that didn't get bred out of domestic turkeys. It was hit or miss with Silkies. Some were more than willing while others would attack anything that wasn't their own.
All my turkeys are quick to adopt one another's poults regardless of age. Looks rather strange; 12 newly hatched and one 6 weeks old. The turkey has to see the difference but if they speak the same language... all is good.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The ortho your wife was supposed to see for the break.

I'd be lost without my calendar these days. The plus is that you will find a balance soon. All the coming and goings I had happening was dizzying. Now I'm more on a level plain.
They put a walking boot on it. Told her to try and stay off of it as much as possible and to only put as much pressure on it as she could stand. She has to go back in 2 weeks to see how it's healing,if it slides off to 1 side and isn't healing straight they'll have to do surgery. As long as she keeps it straight and don't try moving it side to side when she walks it should be ok but you never know how things will heal.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,358 ·
Wow, that could be pretty stressful. I mean we all misstep once in a while. For her it could mean surgery.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
The sun is shining and no rain predicted for the next three days, so it's dry out day-new, clean, dry bedding for everyone. The backyard is like a swamp.

All twelve poults have sold and going to their new home tomorrow.

One of the hand fed squabs got seriously hurt. A large piece of skin and feathers was ripped off her neck leaving her esophagus exposed. It happened the day I was busy with the dog and puppies. Looks bad, but the baby is eating/drinking again and acting normally, so I'm sure she will survive. I have no idea what happened. She is staying in the house until the wound heals enough for her to be outside safely.

1341 - 1360 of 1395 Posts