Chicken Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1395 Posts

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,301 ·
I suspected as much. My right carotid is 50/60% blocked. I'm grateful they don't plan on doing anything with it because I dreaded the thought.

When it becomes life altering is when they'll do what they must.

On the diet thing. It might be something to look at. Not so much for your BP but the blockage. After I lost my hubs I started eating very differently. Very little red meat, lots of veggies. I love roasted vegetables. The blockage in my carotid has reduced.

I was surprised, I didn't know that could happen. I'm not even sure that's why. Ask your primary care doc about it when you see her again.

·
Registered
783 Posts
That's what I figured too about the surgery,I didn't think he'd do it yet.

As for the diet,I plan on cutting down on the sodium and processed foods,I don't eat much red meat anyway. I'm more into fish and chicken.even though I love ham and bacon but pork costs too much,so does beef other than hamburger.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,303 ·
I keep a ton of frozen vegetables in my freezer. Decide what I feel like having and pull something out for dinner. I'm not much on eating fish. Especially the kind they say we should eat. I just can't get into it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
With summer coming hopefully I can catch my own out of the pond,catfish,bluegill,bass maybe even grass carp......yum yum,well the grass carp is just tolerable but the rest,oh yeah. I really need to clean some out,especially the catfish.

·
Vintage Featherless Biped
111 Posts
I keep a ton of frozen vegetables in my freezer. Decide what I feel like having and pull something out for dinner. I'm not much on eating fish. Especially the kind they say we should eat. I just can't get into it.
Concerning diet, I should (according to most doctors) be sooooo dead right now. I've eaten nothing but meat, eggs, and cheese for the last six years (my "carbiversary" is March 10). By nothing, I mean no vegetable products whatsoever, not so much as a lettuce leaf or an almond. I confess to coffee (bean water, right?) and an occasional neat whiskey, but that's it. The first six months, my cholesterol dropped 20 pts--eating bacon all. the. time. I don't enjoy that much salt anymore, so less bacon. Nowadays, I eat a plateful of meat two or three times a day and think of it as fuel. Weird, but true. It's not a lifestyle most people would contemplate, but it sure works for me. :)

I don't usually tell my doctor(s) about it--if they ask about my diet, I say I don't eat any refined foods. Which is true! My naturopath thought it was intriguing enough that she decided to try it, so not all doctors think I'm nuts. Just most of them. (And btw; my circulatory pipes are clean as a whistle, per the tests.)

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 ·
I can't eat like that. Red meat has never been my favorite. I've always leaned more towards vegetables. I ate what my hubs preferred for years. Now it's what I prefer.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Now catfish I'll eat. I like catfish. Sole and flounder kind of. It's so boring flavor wise.
I don't know if I've ever had sole or flounder. I know I don't care for orange roughy and some others you can get at the store,can't recall the names though.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Concerning diet, I should (according to most doctors) be sooooo dead right now. I've eaten nothing but meat, eggs, and cheese for the last six years (my "carbiversary" is March 10). By nothing, I mean no vegetable products whatsoever, not so much as a lettuce leaf or an almond. I confess to coffee (bean water, right?) and an occasional neat whiskey, but that's it. The first six months, my cholesterol dropped 20 pts--eating bacon all. the. time. I don't enjoy that much salt anymore, so less bacon. Nowadays, I eat a plateful of meat two or three times a day and think of it as fuel. Weird, but true. It's not a lifestyle most people would contemplate, but it sure works for me. :)

I don't usually tell my doctor(s) about it--if they ask about my diet, I say I don't eat any refined foods. Which is true! My naturopath thought it was intriguing enough that she decided to try it, so not all doctors think I'm nuts. Just most of them. (And btw; my circulatory pipes are clean as a whistle, per the tests.)
That's what I figured all along,it's not red meat as much as buy stuff with all the preservatives and other junky chemicals they put in food. If we ate all natural stuff people would be surprised what they could enjoy I bet.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,310 ·
I don't know if I've ever had sole or flounder. I know I don't care for orange roughy and some others you can get at the store,can't recall the names though.
I don't like the texture of large fish. I prefer the more delicate flesh of the catfish, soul and flounder. I can't hardly stand tuna. I will eat salmon patties but that's as close as I'll get to salmon.

And grouper? Hubs family raved about it. I ate veggies and avoided the fish.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts

That is interesting, thanks for sharing! My son is twenty-six and has been doing a carnivore diet for two years. He swears by it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I don't like the texture of large fish. I prefer the more delicate flesh of the catfish, soul and flounder. I can't hardly stand tuna. I will eat salmon patties but that's as close as I'll get to salmon.

And grouper? Hubs family raved about it. I ate veggies and avoided the fish.
I like tuna better than salmon myself,I can eat salmon patties once in awhile but I get tired of them easily,tuna though I don't mind eating regularly.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Also,if God hadn't wanted us to eat meat he wouldn't have made it so we needed vitamins and minerals that are in it,....or made bacon so darn delicious 😁

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,314 ·
Totally agree on the bacon. I don't remember when I last had it. But I could sit down and eat a whole pack if given the opportunity. I might have to take what I have in the freezer out now that you all are talking about it.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
I spent a lot of the day just having fun with the critters; a lot of time pigeon watching. I opened the loft several days ago to let the birds fly. I assumed the original homers Kimmi bought would immediately leave to go back to their previous home. All the originals did take off as soon as they were released. Two days later some of the original pigeons had returned. The next day every single one had returned. That does not say much for their homing abilities, but then I knew the birds were pathetic as homers.

It's fun to watch the flock soaring through the sky in mass making sweeping circles around our property. Fun to watch their courting and strutting in the yard. Beautiful to see these bright white birds flying through the green trees. Of course, I'm bound to lose some to hawks. When I see birds not returning I'll have to decide whether or not to keep the flock locked in the loft for safety.

I hope everyone had a grand day. OM-cochin eggs are hatching now; apparently I counted days wrong. There was one chick in the nest a few hours ago. And there were other eggs that were piped. Come morning I'll see how many of the ten eggs hatched.

Four hand feds are weaned now so we have just two that need hand feeding now; definitely worth doing. Kimmi was delighted today when she was out in the yard and one of the babies flew to her and landed on her head. They turned out just as I thought they would. Wish I could post a video.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,319 ·
How many pigeons do you have? All this time I thought you only had a couple of pairs.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
How many pigeons do you have? All this time I thought you only had a couple of pairs.
I never really counted, but with the six hand feds, there must be about 18-20 birds now and about time to start birth control. I started with three pair last year at this time.

How are the quail doing? I have been having health issues so haven't been on the group as much. A better day today

1301 - 1320 of 1395 Posts