Chicken Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1082 Posts

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
You must have had some really messed up kits to put together. Is this a Kimmi thing?

It'll certainly keep your brain exercised.
It's a together thing. If I were working on a perfectly level (no such thing) surface it would go together easy, but... Frustration was taking over so time to quit for the day. I almost got the frame done and that's the hard part. It worries me that somehow I messed up and the cover won't fit over the frame and I'll have to dismantle the whole thing and start over. There's no way to really check without putting the cover on and then if it doesn't fit... the air will turn blue around here.

How was your day?

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063
It's a together thing. If I were working on a perfectly level (no such thing) surface it would go together easy, but... Frustration was taking over so time to quit for the day. I almost got the frame done and that's the hard part. It worries me that somehow I messed up and the cover won't fit over the frame and I'll have to dismantle the whole thing and start over. There's no way to really check without putting the cover on and then if it doesn't fit... the air will turn blue around here.

How was your day?
Yep, I know that feeling. The one where I just want to cry because the final piece doesn't fit. And the frustration that the thing is just so obstinate about going together.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
I have the framing done and now to try the cover and construct a foundation of landscape timbers to make the greenhouse more permanent. The whole thing is so light that without a heavy foundation it would blow away with the first storm.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Kimmi and I worked together to get the cover on. We had talked of getting a bigger greenhouse last summer. This one in from, wish.com, some kind of bidding/auction type deal. She bid 50 cents and got it. Hearing of that I incorrectly figured it had to be pure crap and didn't waste my time to put it together. This week I put it together with Kimmi's help. Fifty cents...go figure.

This picture I took the second and third are Kimmi's.

Pepper.

Inky.

The Wigglebottoms.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,067
Yes! Time to celebrate it's being finished. And except for your finger in the photo you didn't do bad at all with that pic.

I can understand why you figured it was going to be more trouble than it's worth. It might explain the challenges you had putting it together.

How many wigglebottoms are there?

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Yes! Time to celebrate it's being finished. And except for your finger in the photo you didn't do bad at all with that pic.

I can understand why you figured it was going to be more trouble than it's worth. It might explain the challenges you had putting it together.

How many wigglebottoms are there?
I've been trying to get the landscape timbers under the greenhouse frame and I have most of it done; otherwise the first good puff of wind and our new greenhouse would be in someone else's yard. So I'm not done yet.

Even the expensive kits have the same or worse problems. Other than the holes being made wrong and the tiny type on the directions it went together pretty good. I've had some where the holes didn't line up and had to be redrilled.

Nine Wigglebottoms; puppies on the way.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Only our oldest, Karly, has the run of the whole house. The others have the dinette, deck, and the whole back yard to run in. Karly despises the other dogs and since she is the oldest, she get special consideration. No cages here. We hate people who run puppy mills with no feeling for their dogs; only wanting the money and keeping their charges in little cages.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,071
I've never agreed with the crate deal either. What's wrong with teaching them what is acceptable and what isn't?

My Keepher was the senior dog in our pack. She taught the three young boys in no uncertain terms what was acceptable and what wasn't.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
There have been times when I have been accused of running a puppy mill; I find this extremely insulting. While we do raise puppies to sell, as we do the birds, the dogs are considered part of the family, as are some of the birds.

My Shorty after a hard day's work.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074
There have been times when I have been accused of running a puppy mill; I find this extremely insulting. While we do raise puppies to sell, as we do the birds, the dogs are considered part of the family, as are some of the birds.

My Shorty after a hard day's work.

View attachment 40461
I miss my beasts. I have to enjoy them through others these days.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,076
What kind of plan do you have? I can't tell from the pics how much your land slopes. I can see you'll have to address runoff in that area.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yep! Hubbs has a plan for all that. He used to landscape for a golf course, so I trust him on that sort of stuff! (They were making it an 18 hole.... lots of experience! Lol)
It’s going to be long, bc it will be basically two halves of a shed on either end as separate coops, and a covered run area in between, and additional run space out on the ‘front’ of the covered run too but uncovered (covered w hardware mesh, but not roof) there. Doors here and there to allow for adjustments on who gets how much run space as needed. Barn style roof across, for plenty of vertical space usage.

Hope that made a little sense! Making it large enough for about a dozen full size hens, with about 4sq ft per hen in the coops, not including nest box space. So for bantams should allow for a few more. Chicken maths. Duh.

1061 - 1080 of 1082 Posts