Chicken Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1082 Posts

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
It's almost here. Good thing I bought gas today. LOL I might need it for the generator.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
I'm going to have to round up sheets and whatever to start covering plants. Quite a few bonsai have started to grow and I'll bring those into the kitchen. There are some things too big to move so they'll have to be covered. I have three Japanese maple bonsai that are three to four feet tall that are leafed out and not easy to move GROANNNNNN

·
Vintage Featherless Biped
108 Posts
Everything has been fine here. We've had/are having lots of rain, but nothing else other than thunder and lightning. No high winds, no hail. So far anything serious has been in other counties or has passed us by.

We haven't gotten Toby yet. Kimberly emailed to tell us she was sick and hoped to come this weekend.

Today, I've planted onions, did some coop cleaning, and picked up pine cones (an everyday thing). Next, I need to put garden netting along the ramp rails with the hopes of keeping the kids off; dogs too, because I use the ramp to start trees, plants, and for my bonsai.
This time of year, I'm jealous that (except for the rain) you have gardening weather! The water in our bird bath is frozen right now, although it'll warm up to the mid-fifties today.

Pics of the bonsai, if you get a chance. :)

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047
This time of year, I'm jealous that (except for the rain) you have gardening weather! The water in our bird bath is frozen right now, although it'll warm up to the mid-fifties today.

HG, you'll be in the catbird seat when Summer finally hits. Down here it's going to be miserable with heat and humidity. Most days will be spent indoors hiding from it.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts

I will post bonsai pictures when the trees have leafed out and look nice. Right now, most are trunks and stems/branches with just the beginings of green buds,.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Waiting. Hopefully tomorrow-two dozen shipped Call Duck eggs. I'm hoping someone who gives a rip is the person handling my eggs. USPS tracking shows delivery tomorrow.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050
What direction are they coming from? When I was getting shipped eggs almost anything coming from the NE had ruptured air cells in multiple eggs.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
What direction are they coming from? When I was getting shipped eggs almost anything coming from the NE had ruptured air cells in multiple eggs.
WV-NE, and I know that's a bad direction to get eggs. The same lady I got my eggs from before. She had many extra and offered them for the price of shipping; which I doubled. If I get 6 ducklings from the 24 eggs it will be worth it. While the duck eggs I got before were in bad shape on arrival, some serama and d'Uccle eggs from the same place came through great with a 100% hatch. All I can do is hope for the best. Most people I know blame Memphis as the place to avoid when getting eggs, and where are my eggs right now? MEMPHIS to be delivered tomorrow.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Further NE. I'll try to remember that and avoid that area should I decide to get more eggs shipped. Now it's time to start covering the fruit trees. With the huge amount of rain we got I did not expect much in the way of pollination. To my surprise some of the trees are loaded with developing fruit. It will be a shame to lose it to a late freeze without trying to save the crop.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Today is greenhouse day. I'm putting together a 20 foot greenhouse kit. I need a magnifying glass to read the tiny typed instructions-holes don't line up-and they drilled the wrong kind of holes in the metal pieces; round where it should be square and square where it should be round. Oh bother, I wish I had four hands. Other than that it is a beautiful sunny day.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,058
OK, I've already tossed the greenhouse out in the road to be mushed by vehicles. I have so little patience with stuff like that but it sounds like you're taking it in stride.

1041 - 1060 of 1082 Posts