Chicken Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1082 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
I also just recalled that it is time for them to be getting the new little goat, Toby! I’m not sure if that is keeping them busy or what. Let’s hope! Hopefully [mention]danathome [/mention] can let you know first, but I’ll check in when I hear from them.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,025
Thanks, OM. I did look up TN. They suspect a tornado touched down in Wayne County but that's quite a bit West of where they live and where so many seem to land to go into the SE corner of Lewis County where I used to live.

·
Registered
730 Posts
That storm was no joke, if it was part of the same one that tracked across there- usually hits us too but has to clear a mountain range, so we usually get the waters down version.

See? Cant do anything without Tiny’s help!
Robin, I was going to take a picture of my poor stunted flowers- this side I wasn’t as surprised bc they are kinda rough on them but since it was almost every single one it was odd.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,027
I wonder if it's a new variety. I've got Azaleas that don't get massive like some of the others in my yard. I guess two feet is as tall as they get.

My Shoester wouldn't be as nosey as your guy is. He'd watch closely especially if Prissy was assisting me. He wouldn't come on the porch unless she did. She would jump in my lap but he never would.

·
Vintage Featherless Biped
108 Posts
We've had two gorgeous days in a row--got up to 65 yesterday, which to my mind is the perfect weather for gardening. I planted a five gallon Fragrant Sumac on each side of our driveway at the road. The hubs likes that they're low-growing, casual, and native to our area--both drought tolerant and deer resistant. I like that they turn red in the fall.

Before we moved here, I'd taken cuttings of Martha Gonzalez roses--of which I'd taken cuttings and brought from San Antonio six years ago. They grow super fast, they're tough, and they have enough thorns that the deer will go elsewhere unless starving. So I put them and a bunch of bulbs (Oxblood lily, St Joseph's lily, and a few colors of narcissus) up next to the house with some dwarf iris. I don't usually care for dwarf iris, but these are just...cute. They're called Bumble Bee.

Next up--planning the herb garden. Might have to wait til the lifting restrictions are lifted for that, as it'll take some wheelbarrows full of amendment in the soil before I can dig those beds.

Anybody heard from Dan yet?
101_1258.JPG
R8c99123d8f4219c17c5501d7b59e4d99.jpg

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,031
Everyone has Spring fever. A friend pushed it again this year with her veggie garden and now has to scramble to protect what she planted. We're even being warned about a frost here in the deep South.

I get cute. I want some of those little Iris'. Too bad they'd just die here.

The plants covered in red blooms are roses?

He's been in and out, he just hasn't checked in on this topic for a bit. They came through OK with all the nasty weather TN has been having.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,032
Oh, something happened this year that is amazing. I have these monster size Azaleas out front. Last year was a blah year for blossoms. This year they are absolutely covered. I've never seen them this covered in blossoms.

I've wondered if it's because we actually had more Winter this year than we've had in several years.
B5B5FA02-FE86-4F86-8795-A376BC2B5108_1_105_c.jpeg

This one is under the Magnolia. We didn't even know it was there until hubs limbed the Magnolia and surprise! This is the first time it's bloomed since he found it five years ago.

·
Vintage Featherless Biped
108 Posts
Wow!!! That's gorgeous! We had azaleas in Florida--they were all over our base housing yard.

The red blooms are the roses--that's not my photo, though. Apparently I never took any closeup shots of the roses I'd brought as cuttings. They went from a little twig in a quart pot to five foot shrubs in five years. They're not good for cutting, but they do make good rose hips for tea.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,034
The roses get HUGE! I'm thinking something that stays about 2 feet and mounds.

I'm over Azaleas for that very reason, they're everywhere. Gorgeous while they're blooming which is doesn't last long and is only once a year.

When we moved here I tackled some that were planted in front of the house. Think ten foot high bushes. I started whacking, right down to the ground. I found they were planted just a foot from the foundation and where there should only be one, there were five. I decided they needed to go. The only way to do that was kill them.

I started calling them zombie azaleas because they wouldn't die. Finally they stopped coming back and now I have a newer, smaller variety planted in that area but not a foot off the foundation.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Everything has been fine here. We've had/are having lots of rain, but nothing else other than thunder and lightning. No high winds, no hail. So far anything serious has been in other counties or has passed us by.

We haven't gotten Toby yet. Kimberly emailed to tell us she was sick and hoped to come this weekend.

Today, I've planted onions, did some coop cleaning, and picked up pine cones (an everyday thing). Next, I need to put garden netting along the ramp rails with the hopes of keeping the kids off; dogs too, because I use the ramp to start trees, plants, and for my bonsai.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Oh, something happened this year that is amazing. I have these monster size Azaleas out front. Last year was a blah year for blossoms. This year they are absolutely covered. I've never seen them this covered in blossoms.

I've wondered if it's because we actually had more Winter this year than we've had in several years. View attachment 40431

This one is under the Magnolia. We didn't even know it was there until hubs limbed the Magnolia and surprise! This is the first time it's bloomed since he found it five years ago.
Very likely it bloomed because it got more light. Beautiful plant. This rain is ruining a lot of our early blooms. Now we're supposed to have three freezing night in the low 30s and 20s. Goodbye to the fruit crop. There's a dwarf peach in the poultry yard and at this point it has dozens of developing peaches on it. I'll try covering that one.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,037
Old sheets. I kept a bunch of them around to cover my fruit trees because they always had fruit set and there was always a frost/freeze.

They've given us a frost warning for the next couple of days. It might get a little tense here later this afternoon. The cold front is going to hit 84 degree temps.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
We have the old sheets. I'll look and see if there's any fruit left to cover. The rain came down so hard it was like having a bucket of water dumped. Good luck to you with the weather.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,039
I am anxious which is not a good sign. I'm pretty good at reading the weather. There are times they're screaming tornado, I walk outside and go nope. It's not here yet but it feels wrong.

1021 - 1040 of 1082 Posts