Chicken Forum banner

761 - 780 of 851 Posts

·
Serama King
965 Posts
You're right on both counts, keets and egg size. Guinea eggs are probably a bit smaller than a medium size egg.

What about d'Uccles? I was so surprised when I saw how big the eggs were for such tiny bodies.
IDK. My d'Uccles have not started to lay yet.

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
You'll be surprised when you see the size of the egg. I wondered if the eggs belonged to one of my other birds but it wasn't possible to come from one of the others since the pair lived alone.

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
Finally, dry and rather warm. Well, not freezing out there. I went out to burn, nope there's too much of a breeze so I cut up four the threes I had dropped before the rains started. By the time I was done cutting the trees up it was no longer a breeze but a full on wind.

Too dangerous to be working under the trees so I'm forced back indoors.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
You'll be surprised when you see the size of the egg. I wondered if the eggs belonged to one of my other birds but it wasn't possible to come from one of the others since the pair lived alone.
My d'Uccle came to me as hatching eggs, but I do not remember their size.

Mother turkey is definitely brooding full time so there 14 maybe 15 eggs to this clutch.

I ordered an incubator and it's very late in coming; they say because of the cold weather and snow.

Homer egg shells on the floor so new squabs have hatched.

I candled eggs this morning under four hens to see how they fared in the cold; not good-about half were ruined. I rather expected it, but still disappointing. But I guess I should be pleased that half did survive.

Along with my flock I'm now feeding MANY cardinals, blue jays, and juncos. So many cardinals; dozens of bright red birds-a sight to see.

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
You just reminded me, I've been seeing flocks of Robins for about two weeks now.

I can not imagine the birds hatching little ones in this cold. I mean mine did but I was set up for it with warming lamps to keep peeps from being cold.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Robins have been here allwinter; wrens too.

If you mean the homers, pigeons will raise squabs in all weather if they have drinking water and adequate food. Pigeons take turns, female at night-male by day, so eggs and squabs are covered constantly other than the time it takes to make the trade off (seconds).

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
They don't stay here year round. I see the big flocks in Spring and Fall.

I didn't know that about the pigeons but you've still got others sitting looking to hatch something out.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Two pair are on the nest. I haven't wanted to disturb them during
the cold, so I'm not sure if they have eggs or squabs. One pair has a baby, but other than that... Tomorrow, when it's warm I'll look and do some cleaning. I enjoy listening to their cooing and watching their courtship antics.

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
How about 5th century BC. At least that's what some evidence shows for domestication.

I guess you don't breed out the wild in Guineas.
We talked a little about this last year. According to scientists, Guineas were the first watch animal for humans and that relationship while not true domestication, goes back to cave people days. Because they fit so well in their evolutionary niche, Guineas have remained unchanged for four million years.

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
Except were they as domesticated as they are now? Which doesn't really ask the whole question. Were they trained to go to a coop at night? To recognize where home was?

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Not even close. It's what has me confused at this point. If they've been a part of close human life for so many years why are they still very much the bird out of Africa.

Look at what duck, geese, chickens and turkeys have become under the care of humans for so long.

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
Not even close. It's what has me confused at this point. If they've been a part of close human life for so many years why are they still very much the bird out of Africa.

Look at what duck, geese, chickens and turkeys have become under the care of humans for so long.
They didn't need to change and did not have domestication genes, apparently. Cats are somewhat similar, they didn't need humans but the ancient Assyrians and Egyptians needed them to guard the grain from mice. There is some current domestication gene research being done with foxes. Anyway, it's a thing. I wonder if that's why turkey behavior appears so strange to us sometimes.

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #774
You've got a point and can actually see differences with your turkeys. I don't remember if you have others besides the Eastern but I'll bet there's easily spotted differences between them and other domesticated turkeys where behavior is concerned.

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
You've got a point and can actually see differences with your turkeys. I don't remember if you have others besides the Eastern but I'll bet there's easily spotted differences between them and other domesticated turkeys where behavior is concerned.
The Easterns certainly do have some interesting behaviors. In the past my other heritage turkey breeds seemed more domesticated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
They are larger than I expected for such a small bird! They’re the equivalent of.... hmm.
When you cook 2 at one time, it roughly equals a jumbo store egg in volume. So, about half of one of those? And they are far smaller than half the size of a jumbo laying chicken! Here are a couple D’Uccle with some from my Wyandotte’s.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
It's KID DAY! Yeah!!! Almost all the birds I have to sell will be going today. I will be glad to see the two hen turkeys go. Then I'll have just my three favorites.

761 - 780 of 851 Posts