What's everyone up to?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by robin416, Feb 21, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

One of the women on my road that had it back in Oct still says her energy levels are not where they normally are.

Go easy.

2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Well, good luck, hope it goes well.

3. GaChicken_Chick

GaChicken_Chick rkluse4570

Well Lauren finally got to come home Wednesday night. She's utterly exhausted and still very weak. My stamina and strength is slowly coming back. I'm not looking forward to this cold snap. I've got to rush home after work today to throw frost blanket over all my bonsai. And I'm going to hook up a heat lamp for the youngsters and a wind break. They're 3 months old but they're my babies they will be cold with a low of 24 Tuesday night. Everyone sleeps in the back storeroom of the house but I'll have to put them out at 7am. Robin I need to get pics of my silkies. They are baffling me on gender. 2 look like obvious males, but my favorite one has a giant round tail and head crest, very talkative like a hen, but crows every single morning. One of the other silkies crows as well.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  4. robin416

From everything I've seen and heard about this virus she's going to have a long recovery. I hope she fully recovers and doesn't have lingering symptoms.

That business about feeling tired and weak is the same thing my neighbor mentioned going through after she recovered. She's like you, rarely stops for more than a moment so it's been frustrating.

Ouch, 24. That's cold for that area so early.

5. GaChicken_Chick

Yea it was lows in the 50s last week and it is supposed to be 27 tonight, 24 tomorrow night, and 28 wednesday. I am going to put up plastic sheeting on part of the front of their pen, with the heat lamp on another part. I've also got to put the new heat lamp and bulb into the well pump house.

6. robin416

Are you home or at work? Can Justin do any of that for you if you're at work?

7. GaChicken_Chick

I'm at work. He can't do any of it because I haven't bought everything yet

8. robin416

LOL That's a good reason for him not doing it before you get home.

How are you going to do that stuff in the dark?

9. GaChicken_Chick

I'll have about 30 mins of light. That should be plenty of time, and if not I have a 6000 lumen light I can put out there lol

10. Poultry Judge

That will work! I have a portable Ridgid rechargeable floodlight that I carry at night and now I can't live without it. We are supposed to get 6-8 inches of snow tonight. I am not ready for it!

11. robin416

Snow is a possibility where GCC lives but it would shut the world down if they get it in that area. At least PJ you live in an area that can get four inches and still function.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  12. GaChicken_Chick

They said we might get a flurry tonight but thats it. I would love some snow! And you're right it does shut everything down lol.

13. robin416

Just think, if you had some snow you'd be off work and have plenty of time prepping the birds for the cold weather.

14. GaChicken_Chick

That I would! The state gives us snow days

15. robin416

I did not know that. I don't imagine they have to use them very often.

16. Poultry Judge

Nothing shuts down around here. I remember freezing rain would shut everything down in Harlan, Kentucky! Ice was indeed dangerous with all the hills.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  17. Poultry Judge

I'm tired of all the rain this Fall, last night at one in the morning I finally gave up and pumped the well in the basement down about five feet, because it was overflowing around the base of the furnace. The furnace is on bricks, so the water is mostly annoying but it hasn't overflowed in fifteen years.

18. robin416

Can you be a little more clear on what the heck you were doing? Do you have a sump pump or does your basement want to be a covered swimming pool?

Excess rain has been a headache for several this year. I got enough unlike what happened last year.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  19. Poultry Judge

The short answer is, the basement would be a swimming pool if that uncovered well was not pumped right now. Because the water table is high anyway, many farms around me have an outside well, (mine is 32 feet), and an inside basement well, (to control the water, 24 feet deep, 3 feet in diameter, mine is currently at 0 feet). I have a sump pump but it is not adequate to control the well if it overflows, in which case I have to pump the well with one of my well pumps and send the water to the ditch at the road.

20. robin416

Well, that was something new. I never knew wells could overflow but as I sit here and think about it it makes sense it can happen. The well is below ground so if the water table comes up . . .