What's everyone up to?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by robin416, Feb 21, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Do you think it was the antibody plasma? That could be a good thing for her.

Someone who used to be on the forum has had her son's MIL die of it last week, a grandson that had it and recovered. Now her 70 year old brother has it. But they still get together for stuff.

I don't get it. And she's tired of me pounding on her about it.

2. robin416

You must be feeling better.

Now if we can get Tom to post some pics while you're here maybe you could lend him a hand with his.

3. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

Well, let’s quantify that bc it DOES sound really scary. Ok, so about 80% of people who catch it, (or between 70-80, whoever you listen to) are totally asymptomatic. Many of these don’t even know they’ve got it. Of those remaining 20%, only about 2% require hospitalization. And then, of that 2%, about 34% do perish. So, it is and it isn’t. They don’t tell you all that, they don’t qualify it, they throw out this extra scary statistic and let it ride. Hope that helps? Info from the CDC info sent to the PD. Possibly somewhat off bc it’s been a month or so since we discussed, but that kinda sums it up. It’s scary but not nearly as lethal as they’d like us to think at the same time. It’s a mess.

Also, ventilators carry an inherent risk, all on their own and their own mortality rate. Additionally, someone may have died of a heart attack while they have Covid, and it is still counted as part of the statistics.

4. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

You and yours will be in our prayers.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  5. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Very nice!!!

6. Poultry Judge

Ohio has a curfew again. I wish people around here would take the mask wearing seriously.

7. robin416

Heck, with all of these people traveling for the holiday the numbers are going to rocket up.

8. Poultry Judge

It's gonna be weird after next week.

9. danathome

If the intent is to scare people, it is not working and they need to try harder! Until there is fear people will continue as they are and the virus will continue to spread. Much of what I read is incomprehensible to the average person and needs to be written so everyone understands.

10. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

You are right. But, at the same time, it is good to know it isn’t quite as much of a killer as they say- IF you are healthy. That’s really the whole trick of it.

Ok that was a bit long. And the truth is, it’s not hard to wear a mask. And if you don’t like masks, tie a bandanna around you- it’s not hard, doesn’t have to be anything complicated, or even all that thick now. But, y’all know I’m with you. I just don’t think it’s fair for them to let people believe that 1/3 of all who catch this die- bc that is absolutely terrifying. This is scary, and at different levels for different people depending on their risk level mostly! People are selfish, but it isn’t hard to wear a mask. Virginia has a mask mandate too. It’s been bad in our area, but they predicted this, bc it’s the pattern of any outbreak. It spreads in the cities, we get s bit of a break while it starts to decline, but then it starts really getting into the more rural areas, it’s just that it takes longer. So now they’re all blowing up like the cities were before. We are close to a vaccine everyone, just hang in here for a few more weeks!

11. robin416

I guess all the hospitals running out of room and care providers isn't enough to convince some that it's not the flu. We raced past the annual flu death totals with this virus several months ago.

12. Poultry Judge

And we have a ways to go.

13. GaChicken_Chick

GaChicken_Chick rkluse4570

The hardest part is that there are still so many unknowns with the virus. My friend had asthma, which made her high risk and put in the hospital. If you dont have any prior respiratory or circulatory issues you'll probably get a mild case like me. That seems to be the going trend.

And I hear ya on the weird weather. I have several azaleas with a handful of blooms. And yesterday it was in the upper 70s

14. robin416

Think about how many people have health challenges, high BP, asthma, diabetes and the list goes on.

15. danathome

A few nights ago two young men showed up to buy some birds; no masks-no gloves-and drunk. I'm thinking of putting up a sign: NO MASK, NO GLOVES, NO SERVICE.

As for the vaccine-I hope... I do know that a vaccine is good only as long as the virus doesn't mutate and become something different.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  16. Poultry Judge

And no drunks! Who would do that? We have a Covid sign up about social distancing.

17. danathome

Those that don't care about others and those that are ignorant (lacking knowledge) of their actions and how it might effect other people.

Personally, I think numerous people just don't understand the virus and need to be educated in terms they understand or forced to do what's needed. Our state and federal governments have not done a good job in educating the masses about Corvid 19 or mandating what should have been done long ago.

18. robin416

Careful folks. We don't want this thread to wander into territory it shouldn't. Covid is a hot topic but we have to be mindful of what we say about it.

19. GaChicken_Chick

GaChicken_Chick rkluse4570

On another note, first day back at work today! I can definitely feel my energy is down. But I have PLENTY to keep me busy. 2 weeks worth of emails to weed through. Field trial permit and horse trail permit applications to process. While I was gone they only allowed one person in office and she had a lot more to do on top of busy phones.

robin416 likes this.
  20. danathome

I wish you a great first day back at work!

Poultry Judge likes this.