Chicken Forum banner
1981 - 2000 of 2002 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
We have an electric stove for cooking and an older gas stove for heating they used back before they had the central heating put in but the thermocouple or something is bad,as soon as I turn it from pilot to run the pilot light goes out. I have no idea when we'll get the new furnace since they didn't come until Friday afternoon and the owner was out of town,he does all the quotes. I've got another guy coming tomorrow to give me his quote. It'll depend on what Dave,the owner of the company that checked it tells me on whether it'd be cheaper to fix or replace. I went to their office this morning while I was in town but being Saturday they was closed. I'll compare the 2 quotes and decide then I guess. It'll depend on how it's got to be paid for too.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,982 ·
My HVAC is 30 years old. But it's electric and I don't have the heat exchanger. My furnace guy is adamant, leave it alone. Don't replace it. I see him once every three years or so to replace a part. So, he's not making any money off me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I wouldn't get an electric one,I've lived in places with both types and the places with electric heat are always a lot higher to heat. I've known quite a few with electric bills over $400 a month during the winter,I couldn't afford that.
In times like this it would be nice to have the gas stove operating but since it'd probably be sitting 10 years or more I don't see the point. I'm not sure if the thermocouple could go bad over time even if it wasn't used or not,it would still need to be cleaned I'm sure if nothing else if it sat that long.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,984 ·
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting you should get electric. Just letting you know that mine was different and I forgot to say it's a heat pump. What I was trying to let you know is that my furnace guy, who could make a chunk of money, has told me not to replace mine. That it's far cheaper to replace parts and probably more dependable than those out there now.

So, when you do finally get someone out. Get both prices. And try to pick their brains without them knowing you're doing it.

I'm also in the south so I can get away with an electric heat pump.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Well I've already replaced the heat exchanger in it once,they're very expensive to replace,about as much as a furnace. The guy that replaced it told me that,luckily it was still under warranty then. Both of these guys are saying too it's a lot of work and expense. Until I get actual quotes from both for fixing or replacing I'm not sure yet what I'll do. It's going to need to be quick though. They're both saying this brand of furnace are bad about the heat exchangers going out.These electric heaters we're using aren't getting it above 65 in here and it's 40 outside. It's going to get down to the mid 20s tonight with a high of 35 tomorrow and up to 40 mph wind gusts. It's probably going to get really chilly in here in the next 24 hours,but I doubt they can get it done that quick either way I go. It's not going to get above 45 all week.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Good luck with the furnace repairs/replacement. I know how frustrating that can be. Several years ago we had a similar problem, at the very worst time, and ended up using electric space heaters in the bathrooms and the fireplace to heat the main rooms for a whole winter until finances improved; what a pain! I hope I never have to cut firewood again.

Cool and wet here, but it looks like the sun might come out. I need to get out there and work up the garden and clean the goat pen. Goat manure makes good fertilizer. I just hate working outside when everything is so wet and muddy; especially when the job is so messy under the best of times.

Plant Beak Grass Wood Fawn

Crested phoenix cockerel.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Good luck with the furnace repairs/replacement. I know how frustrating that can be. Several years ago we had a similar problem, at the very worst time, and ended up using electric space heaters in the bathrooms and the fireplace to heat the main rooms for a whole winter until finances improved; what a pain! I hope I never have to cut firewood again.

Cool and wet here, but it looks like the sun might come out. I need to get out there and work up the garden and clean the goat pen. Goat manure makes good fertilizer. I just hate working outside when everything is so wet and muddy; especially when the job is so messy under the best of times.

View attachment 43265
Crested phoenix cockerel.
Thanks,they'll be here in the morning with the new furnace. It does seem like air conditioners and furnaces go out at the worst times,luckily this time for me it wasn't in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Well, it's a relief. Kind of. I know the expense hurts. But you won't freeze now either.
It's actually not as bad as I figured. I'm in the process of redoing my Home Equity Loan for an additional $5,000 because of the PayPal crap that's been going on for 2 months,they kept saying they couldn't find the $2,500 + check the bank here sent them to pay it off and kept trying to charge me late fees and past due amounts. I think it got straightened out Friday so I have that money to use. The furnace is $2,600,that's installed and everything and it has a 20 year warranty,including on the heat exchanger. I'll be almost 80 before the warranty runs out. From the prices of good furnaces I found online,that would cover the price of a furnace without installation. That's about the same price if I recall right that having the A/C put in cost.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,991 ·
That is much better than I thought it would be. But then I've never really had to shop a furnace other than the one installed when we built our house years ago.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Same here,this is the first furnace I've bought too,I was afraid it'd be over $5,000. I knew some furnaces sold for around $1,500 but I've also seen some up close to $3,000 and that's not including labor.

1981 - 2000 of 2002 Posts