Chicken Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my hens have been broody. The first started sitting on the first egg 23 days ago, the 2nd a few days after that. When they get out some other hens have popped in and laid more eggs, John counted tonight, they are both on 14 eggs each. There has been a night or two that the girls have left the nest unattended at over night. Should I just leave them? Take them out and incubate them? Toss them? They are all dark brown eggs and I have tried candling them, but just not sure on their status.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry no idea, but if they left the nest the eggs cooled down. It may take a few extra days to grow. I guess I would let them sit a few more days. After that carefully pop a hole in the air cell end of an egg or two to see if the baby is alive still, if it is then put it back, if not toss them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the separate my broodies so that other hens can bother them. This seems to help keep things on track. I would wait a few extra days because I have heard of eggs hatching a bit late after cooling down for a day or so. Do what Apyl said to do in a few days and if you don't see anything, either do an egg autopsy or toss them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts