Chicken Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've asked before what breed/sex this chicken is in another thread, and the guess was Andalusian Roo. If that's the case, I'm wondering what to do with him - he has grown up with the 5 hens we have and they are all almost 6 weeks old now. At what age will he begin to try to mate? We just want eggs, not chicks, but would it be bad to keep him separate from the girls if he turns out to be a quieter sweet chicken?

Skin Bird Hand Beak Chicken

Bird Vertebrate Chicken Phasianidae Comb

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is separating the only way to keep from getting chicks? I will find him another home if that's the case.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Well...you won't get chicks unless you get a broody bird in your hens and let her sit on the eggs until they hatch, so no worries. If he gets too active and starts riding the feathers off your gals, then you can either give him more hens to spread the love or get rid of him.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Yep...they taste and look just like any other egg. Honest!

This is a pic of 2 large store eggs next to one of my very small eggs...mine is fertilized. The deep orange is from free ranging and a varied diet, not because it's fertile.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Bee is right:) I have two lovely roosters In my flock and the eggs are the same. Just collect your eggs daily and there won't be any little surprises in your coop! Lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol! Well, that is wonderful news since when i was a child I was always told ( by adults who never owned chickens! ) that you didn't eat fertilized eggs. Maybe that was so I wouldn't be concerned that I was going to find a baby chick inside one day! That is a great relief, since I kinda like that roo so far. :)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
That's usually the ones who say those things....sort of like those people who tell you how to raise kids but never had any of their own. :D

Let's clear up a few others...the fertilized eggs won't grow chicks if they are not gathered quickly, left in the warm nests, or left on the counter top for weeks in the summer. They will only grow chicks if they are incubated, sat on by a hen for a number of days, etc. It takes a certain constant temperature and humidity to get eggs to develop into chicks and that doesn't just happen, even if you leave them out in the sun. If only!

The blood spot you see in the eggs you get out of your nests are not tiny chickens in early development....you can find these in infertile eggs too. The reason you never see them in store eggs is because they don't ship those in cartons to the store and they are sorted out and used in products like egg noodles, cakes, cookies, etc.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
No worries, that is a question that comes up often. An egg is an egg, fertile or not, unless incubated or sat by a hen. People after also think the white stringy thing is a baby chick....I can't recall what it is, but for sure not a baby chick. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I learned in embryology what those strings are - hard to remember now, I've slept waaaaay too many times. ;)
Thanks, everyone for all the input! (Y'all DO think that white chicken is a Roo, right?)

·
Registered
558 Posts
hm, not so sure about being Andalusian...according to this mag I just bought, Hobby Farms "Chicken Breeds" "Combs are single with five points standing upright" (plus, according to the pic, the pointed tail of the comb pointing to the back)...Your roo seems to have a few more points.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I'm a little curious...I've noticed that people on these chicken forums post a lot of what breed and what sex posts and I'm left wondering...do you all just buy whatever birds you see, wherever you find them?

I've never bought a bird that I didn't know the breed or the sex of, so I'm fishing for understanding as to why this seems so prevalent in chicken keepers nowadays?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I guess the sexing of chicks other than sex-links is 10% iffy, probably relate to the skills of the sexer. I bought 6 pullets and 2 from a straight run (at that time there was not an option of australorp pullets), so I worried over one of the aussies who seemed to be bigger than the other and bigger. Turned out to be a she (yay). My friend came across someone with very many free ranging birds with a mix of breeds, who told her if she came back after chicks hatched, she could have all she could catch. (hmmm) so maybe those asking received their chicks as gifts, from someone with a mixed flock and no skills at sexing. Might be a good practice for newbies (I am one) or those who at first think that a chicken is just a chicken. Good experience before spending more for real quality stock. I do like the look of a mixture of colors in the yard, but now I know that can be done while staying within a breed. I am so Jonesing for a flock of mixed colors of Chanteclers... but I will have to wait now until attrition opens up room in the flock. I can control my impulses...I can control my impulses...I can control my impulses...(mantra to fight chick fever)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
So....a lot of folks getting into chickens on impulse and don't really know what they want, I'm thinking? That could explain it.

You'd think, wouldn't you, with all the rooster worries and restrictions that folks would be more deliberate and careful in their selections of livestock so that they wouldn't have to worry so much. Or do folks nowadays just like to stress over things? :confused:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Bee said:
So....a lot of folks getting into chickens on impulse and don't really know what they want, I'm thinking? That could explain it.

You'd think, wouldn't you, with all the rooster worries and restrictions that folks would be more deliberate and careful in their selections of livestock so that they wouldn't have to worry so much. Or do folks nowadays just like to stress over things? :confused:
No, it's because most places don't tell you the breed, but assure you they're pullets. So you're going to worry when you 'think' they're Roos because you could then get a refund on something that almost got you fined. Or you could have a fine Sunday dinner.
Or, that's my take on it.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Where do you guys buy chickens?

Most folks that ordinarily sell pullets know if they are pullets or not...at least in these parts, and if they are reputable breeders.

Or from hatcheries as chicks, where you can choose only pullets or roosters.

I guess I'm just confused as to where folks in the suburbs source their chickens and why do they use those sources if they don't know what breeds or sexes they will get?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.