What time of day?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Apyl, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Apyl

Apyl New Member

My flock turned 20 weeks old this past Monday. So of course I'm sitting waiting impatiently ;) .I am curious, what time of day do you notice your Hens laying eggs? Also for those who really free range, do they start out laying while free ranging or did they start out in the coop?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

I have an attached run and my pullets stayed there all day. They only got to free range in the evenings when I was home. Mine started laying in the winter and generally laid in late morning. I put wooden eggs in the nest boxes to help show them where to lay, you can use golf balls too.

Now two years later they tend to lay very early. Most of them before ten am, probably due to the heat. My egg count is a bit down.

By the way, your first egg will arrive approximately three days after you have given up all hope of EVER having an egg. :rolleyes:

Good Luck ~Kimberly

Nice looking pullets, some of the same breeds I have!

3. rob

rob New Member

my flock is only 14 weeks old, cant wait for them to start laying.

4. power

power New Member

It takes a hen about 25 hours to lay an egg. Each day they will usually about an hour later than the day before.

5. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I got my first egg today at 11:15am :) My Barred Rock layed it and even layed it in the nesting bucket :) My flock free ranges all day so I was a bit surprised it wasnt layed in the weeds.

6. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Yay!!! An egg! Did you take a picture? I was so eggcited for our first one I blew it out and turned it into a Christmas ornament.

Congrats ~Kimberly

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

Ours lay mid to late morning. By the time the sun has reached noon, they're done.

8. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Sure did :)

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  9. MariaElena

MariaElena New Member

Most of our hens lay in the morning, although one or two of them prefer late afternoon. We placed plastic easter eggs in the coops and they all took to the idea of where to lay on their own; even our young ones who've only begun laying this past week, have picked up on going into the "older" girls coop to lay their eggs. We also have guinea hens, and they are ground layers, and usually do so in the mid-afternoon hours.
    The first egg will be exciting! Hope it arrives soon!

10. Keith

Keith New Member

Congrats Apyl! Can't wait for our first from our Buff/RIR batch.

11. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I got another this morning , this time from my Ancona ( the pullet in the pic of the main post). :)