Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm not a chicken newbie but what I found today threw me. It looks like a chicken tried to lay an egg, but failed. I found two pieces, one doesn't look anything like an egg and the other looks like .. heck, I don't even know how to describe it.

We had four chickens but two disappeared mysteriously last year. 3 of the four always were together but fortunately, one of them stayed with the chicken that was an outcast after the dog got it and broke it's leg. I set the leg and kept the chicken inside for a few weeks and her leg healed fine. But she was shunned by the other three. Since then, the one chicken who was not with her group hasn't laid any eggs.

The color of this thing makes me think that it might have been her attempt at laying? Any help is appreciated. This is gross!

Thanks!

Lisa

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,234 Posts
Thanks. I knew I shouldn't have let them eat earthworms. I'll get some antibiotic tomorrow.

Lisa
Ecoli is often present in the environment, it may not be the earthworms specifically.

Reactions: dawg53

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ecoli is often present in the environment, it may not be the earthworms specifically.
Sorry about that. My devices would not show a keyboard so the replies couldn't be typed.
Is there any particular antibiotic I should pick up? I assume I dose their water?

Thanks again, y'all are so helpful :)

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Amoxicillin will treat ecoli infections as well other types of infections in poultry. Here's where you can purchase it as a fish medication without prescription. Dosage is one 250mg capsule given orally twice a day for 5 days. All you need is a one time purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again :)

I was able to get some Oxytetracycline 200ml (broad spectrum antibiotic) at Tractor Supply; apparently after 2022, you won't be able to buy it (FDA thing).

I don't know how much to dose a chicken. If anyone knows, I'd sure appreciate the help.

Thanks so much,

Lisa
Amoxicillin will treat ecoli infections as well other types of infections in poultry. Here's where you can purchase it as a fish medication without prescription. Dosage is one 250mg capsule given orally twice a day for 5 days. All you need is a one time purchase.
Thanks for the link. I just bought Oxeterramycin 200ml and I'd love to take it back. Can you recommend the dose please? Should I separate the birds?

Thanks

Lisa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again :)

I was able to get some Oxytetracycline 200ml (broad spectrum antibiotic) at Tractor Supply; apparently after 2022, you won't be able to buy it (FDA thing).

I don't know how much to dose a chicken. If anyone knows, I'd sure appreciate the help.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Thanks for the link. I just bought Oxeterramycin 200ml and I'd love to take it back. Can you recommend the dose please? Should I separate the birds?

Thanks

Lisa
Geez, what a spaz! Oxyterramycin. I can't type. I ordered the Amoxicillin. I didn't even think about fish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't mean to sound stupid, it comes naturally, but how did you administer the capsules? Did you force it down their throats?

Lisa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some do. I mixed mine in some wet treat the birds really liked. Like yoghurt, hand rearing formula for baby birds was my favorite. It was the birds' favorite too.
Some do. I mixed mine in some wet treat the birds really liked. Like yoghurt, hand rearing formula for baby birds was my favorite. It was the birds' favorite too.
I had no idea they would eat things like yogurt. So you can dump the capsule's contents into something the birds will eat? I don't know what, besides worms, they might like. I guess I could try yogurt or some kind of treat. Interesting ideas, thank you. I appreciate the insights. I'll try a few things before I add antibiotic.

·
Administrator
23,781 Posts
Just like anything new, they'll be suspicious of it. Once they get a taste of something good they'll fight you to get at it.

Let's see. Cooked oatmeal is a favorite of most. Hand rearing formula is one I kept around all of the time. Some enjoy cottage cheese.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chickens love plain boiled white rice. It looks like maggots to them and they scoff it up. Of course dont give it to them hot. It helps birds with diarrhea and settles their guts.
The chickens didn't like oatmeal or corn. I ended up just giving her the capsule by. My son told me that I shouldn't listen to people on the internet, they're scammers. He must think I'm stupid. He said he looked up giving capsules to chickens and there was a very specific way to do it and I probably killed her. She seemed fine to me. Anyway, I can't count on his help. White rice isn't a bad idea. I was thinking of diluting the powder and injecting the mealworms with it. They love mealworms and they wouldn't think twice about eating them.

I doubt that over 100 people would band together to give out bad advice to people about chickens. I appreciate the help and if I need to do the rice, I have plenty of it.

Lisa

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
No doubt there are scammers on the internet. I can assure you that scammers dont hang around here. There are alot of good folks on this site that have raised poultry for many many years and know what they're talking about. Scammers cant pull the wool over the eyes of experienced chicken keepers.

I'm surprised your chickens didnt like corn. Maybe adding water to it and letting it soak for awhile might change their minds, you can even add the boiled rice to it if you wish. I've never given oatmeal to my chickens, but they are walking stomachs and I'm sure they'd scoff it up.

·
Administrator
23,781 Posts
I'm not easy on anyone that stirs up any trouble here so you can rest assured they don't stay here long. And we will agree to disagree around here. We've different people from different parts of the world so we have ways that work for our flocks that sometimes others don't think about.

The unknown. Chickens will be leery of anything they haven't seen before. But once one is brave enough to take a peck, it's on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No doubt there are scammers on the internet. I can assure you that scammers dont hang around here. There are alot of good folks on this site that have raised poultry for many many years and know what they're talking about. Scammers cant pull the wool over the eyes of experienced chicken keepers.

I'm surprised your chickens didnt like corn. Maybe adding water to it and letting it soak for awhile might change their minds, you can even add the boiled rice to it if you wish. I've never given oatmeal to my chickens, but they are walking stomachs and I'm sure they'd scoff it up.
I hear ya dawg. I started a site in ‘97 about risks and hazards of internet dating. I usually just blow off my son’s paranoia. Besides, he stopped helping with the chickens a few months after we got them.

I am the guilty party as far as their disdain for corn, etc., I’ve just kept them on layer feed since they were 8 mos old and meal worms. When the 2 disappeared, they were relegated to the coop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not easy on anyone that stirs up any trouble here so you can rest assured they don't stay here long. And we will agree to disagree around here. We've different people from different parts of the world so we have ways that work for our flocks that sometimes others don't think about.

The unknown. Chickens will be leery of anything they haven't seen before. But once one is brave enough to take a peck, it's on.
Thanks, it was a timing issue. I wanted to start treating the hen asap, I won’t ask my son for his help, I’ll try rice. Worst case, I’ll get the worms wet and rub them in the capsule’s powder or just inject the worms with the medicine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, it was a timing issue. I wanted to start treating the hen asap, I won’t ask my son for his help, I’ll try rice. Worst case, I’ll get the worms wet and rub them in the capsule’s powder or just inject the worms with the medicine.
I had both hens on Amoxicillin for a minimum of 5 days. Today I found another Lash egg alongside a perfectly good egg. Do I need to go back to Amoxicillin for a ten day course?? Your help always appreciated :)

Lisa

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
I think you've done all that you can do. Here's a link for you to read about lash eggs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts