Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm raising my first chicks and have 6 res sex links. They are 3 weeks old and have been on southern states start and grow medicated since I got them two weeks ago. I guess they like it because I have to fill their one quart feeder ever morning and again at night. They are growing fast and feathering nicely. The local feed store also sells blue seal which I was planning on switching to at laying age. I think it's called extra egg? Are these good feeds?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I haven't heard of those brands but then there are lots of different brands out there and depend on location. Where I am at, there is Dumor and Purina. My girls prefer the Dumor. Their eggs are better too on Dumor. Had a lot of problems with soft shell and shell-less eggs with the Purina layer feed (even with supplemental oyster shell). As for their Omega Layer feed by Purina - they wouldn't touch it. Fussy snots. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I use Dumor and Purina. Never had an issue with either but I also give all kitchen scraps and give them back egg shells once I use the eggs. I always have a mixed flock with babies so Purina Flock Raiser is the only chick feed I use. Recently I started do the fermented feed process and the flock really likes that as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you having luck laying on the Dumor? Lots of folks around here use it only because of price. I only have 6 birds and they are pretty much pets for my kids. So I would like to do what I can to give the m a long healthy life. Losts of eggs would be a plus.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Are you having luck laying on the Dumor? Lots of folks around here use it only because of price. I only have 6 birds and they are pretty much pets for my kids. So I would like to do what I can to give the m a long healthy life. Losts of eggs would be a plus.
I get an average of 10 eggs a day from 12 hens and I've used only Dumor as my layer feed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thanks. A little off topic, what age can I switch off medicated feed and onto a feed free of AMP. I wanted the med for the chicks but don't want to feed it to them as they get older.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Oh thanks. A little off topic, what age can I switch off medicated feed and onto a feed free of AMP. I wanted the med for the chicks but don't want to feed it to them as they get older.
I have never fed medicated feed. I would say take them off when ever you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts