Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently do not have any poultry, but plan on getting chickens in the future. I recently learned that water geese hang out in is great fertilizer and so I am considering obtaining some geese too. I have been told I will need to build a home for them so they are safe at night. I have been studying chickens and know what they need in a coop, but what about geese? I would like to build a coop that can house both some chickens and geese at night and during bad weather, but then allow them to free-range during the day. Any information on what to include in a goose coop would be appreciated. Also, if you have a favorite web site pertaining to geese and/or can recommend a book on raising geese, please share that info too.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have a A frame 10x10 coop made from recycled wood. I use straw as bedding and do not feed or water indoors. I only feed and water out of the coop. I currently house chickens and ducks with geese coming this spring. I plan to house everyone together like I have been. I dont have a book or site to recomend, I just google terms like "univeristy raising geese" (with out the quotations. This way your info comes from Universities with accurate info.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bet Backyard Chickens have some kind of book or supplies (as for efowl.com and for ur chickens Chickensforbackyards.com have nice chicks and supplies)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife and I commercially raise waterfowl. I would not house chickens with ANY other fowl except other chickens (we raise & sell chickens as well). Chickens carry many deadly diseases that will infect other fowl. Some folks will argue this and say it is acceptable practice to house different fowl together, but the facts speak for themselves.

Our pens are 20'x20' dog kennel panels with hardware cloth coming up 2' around the bottom of the pens and extending 1' outward on the ground to protect from digging predators. Raccoons will "herd" the birds in a corner and reach through the fence to grab them, so that is why we use the hardware cloth around the bottom. It also keeps the chicks in the pens. A metal roof covers half of the 20'x20' pen. We have 1" netting over the entire pen as well to keep predators out. We put out nesting boxes in the spring under the overhang, but during the non-egg laying months there is no structure for the birds. If they want to get out of the rain, they go under the overhang. They spend most of their time on the water. We have an 8' diameter livestock waterer that has a pond pump and is filtered through a bio-filter I made from a design I found on the Internet. We raise the birds on pea-gravel. A small metal feed bowl, grit & eggshell trough, and a clean water bowl is all you need for ducks/geese. If you toss feed into the pool, it just makes a mess that you will have to clean out later. We vacuum out the bottom of the pools about once a month and add fresh water.

The duck pens are constructed in the same fashion as the attached turkey pen, but on the duck pen the roof only covers half of the pen area...and of course the pool (Turks don't swim that well).

image-206636510.jpg

image-999732784.jpg

image-1009585055.jpg

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts